Cadbury Crunchie is a favorite candy bar in South Africa, and was a personal favorite in my pre-vegan days.
So I was delighted to find out that the honeycomb crunchie center is a cinch to duplicate!
And it’s already vegan!
So all that is needed is to cover the honeycomb crunchie part in vegan dark chocolate and you have a fabulous vegan treat!
For this recipe, a candy thermometer is a good idea, as you need to gauge the exact moment when you can remove the pot from the stove and whisk in the baking soda, which is 300 degrees fahrenheit!
You also have to be a little careful when making this (well, when making anything that involves high heat levels really), because boiling sugar is a bit dangerous.
And then….when you add the baking soda which is the magic ingredient that turns this melted sugar into crunchie, the whole mix foams up and pretty much triples in size.
So doing this in a fairly deep pot is a good idea.
Parchment paper is another must to use here. Have everything ready before you even start with this recipe.
Which may sound daunting, but really, this is just because of the speed with which everything happens when you make honeycomb crunchies!
It’s actually really easy.
Just 5 ingredients and 10 minutes and the honeycomb part is done.
Then it’s just a case of letting it cool down, breaking it into pieces and rolling it in melted chocolate. And really….this is just good fun!
Ten minutes in the fridge after rolling in melted chocolate and you have the glorious chocolate crunchie treats you see before you!
If you try this recipe, please let us know how it goes!
Rate it and leave a comment.
And if you’re so inspired, snap a pic and tag it #lovingitvegan on Instagram so we can check it out too!
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp (123g) Golden Syrup (or sub any light colored syrup)
- 1 cup (200g) Sugar
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) Water
- 1 + ¾ tsp Baking Soda
- 7 oz (200g) Vegan Dark Chocolate
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set it down next to the stove.
- Place the full amount of baking soda in a bowl next to the stove so it can all be thrown in at once when the time is right.
- Add the Golden Syrup, Sugar and Water to a pot and turn the heat on high.
- Stirring all the while, allow the sugar to thoroughly melt and begin bubbling away.
- Using a sugar thermometer, wait until the bubbling mix reaches 300 degrees fahrenheit and immediately move the pot off the heat.
- Throw all the baking soda in immediately and with a handheld whisk quickly whisk the baking soda in.
- Be wary as the mix will double or triple in size, so make sure you don't get burnt.
- Pour the mix out onto the parchment paper and leave it be, don't try to smooth it out or touch it with anything.
- Leave it to set and cool for an hour.
- Break into pieces.
- Melt the chocolate by placing it in a heat proof dish over a pot with boiling water at the bottom. Or microwave it to melt.
- Roll the honeycomb crunchie pieces in the chocolate, using a fork to move it around and flip it over, and then place the chocolate covered pieces back onto the parchment paper.
- Place the tray containing the chocolate covered pieces into the refrigerator and allow the chocolate to set.
- And your honeycomb crunchies are ready to eat!
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for the best results.
*This post contains an affiliate link for the Candy Thermometer.