Pico de gallo is a kind of salsa.
As I talked about in our post for restaurant-style salsa, there are different types of salsa.
Pico de gallo is always made from fresh ingredients, nothing cooked or canned and it’s always served chopped up. It’s never blended or processed in a food processor. It’s also called salsa fresca (fresh salsa).
It’s more of a topping than a sauce. Our other salsa recipe (restaurant-style) is all about that sauciness, whereas this is not.
For lots more info about the different types of salsa, check out The Kitchn.
How to make pico de gallo
The best thing about making pico de gallo is that it is super easy and doesn’t require any equipment other than a knife and a chopping board.
It’s just a case of chopping up some fresh tomatoes, onion and cilantro and then tossing that up with some crushed garlic, fresh lime juice, olive oil and salt and pepper.
It has a wonderfully fresh flavor and is perfect to use to top all your vegan Mexican dishes!
Reasons to love pico de gallo!
- It’s fresh
- Fast and easy
- A delicious topping
- Great with chips!
- A perfect side to all your favorite Mexican dishes!
It’s meant to be served fresh! The flavor is absolutely best when it’s served fresh. But you can also store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge and use within 3 days.
Best ways to serve pico de gallo
Serve your pico de gallo along with some vegan taco meat in a vegan taco, with enchiladas, vegan burritos, vegan nachos, veggie fajitas, vegan quesadillas or just with a big bowl of corn chips (maybe with some guacamole and vegan queso or vegan nacho cheese too!).
So what do you think of this pico de gallo recipe? Let us know in the comments and please also rate the recipe. Thanks!
And while you’re here, sign up to our email list for a fabulous (and free) recipe ebook containing 10 delicious vegan dinner recipes, and you’ll also be the first to know when new recipes are posted to the blog.
Pico De Gallo
- 4 Large Tomatoes Chopped
- ½ cup Cilantro Chopped
- ½ Medium Onion White, Yellow or Brown, Chopped
- ½ tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Lime Juice Freshly Squeezed
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper To Taste
- Add the chopped tomatoes, cilantro and onion to a mixing bowl. Add in the crushed garlic, fresh lime juice and olive oil and toss everything together until well mixed.
- Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve as a side with all your favorite Mexican dishes or as a dip for some corn chips.