This vegan taco meat is the best thing ever to go in your tacos!
It’s chewy and delicious and high in protein and makes a nice big portion so you can either serve a bunch of people for taco night or just eat tacos for days in a row (highly recommended).
It’s also really easy to make! Don’t let all the photos fool you into thinking it’s more complicated than it is, this is simple as!
The base ingredients for this vegan taco meat are tofu and walnuts. The walnuts are processed in the food processor into crumbles and the tofu is mashed with a fork. Then the tofu and walnut mixture is tossed up with a sauce made from soy sauce, tomato paste and spices and then laid out on a baking tray and baked until perfectly dried out and ‘meaty’ in texture.
And there you have it! Vegan taco meat!
Other than on your tacos you’ll also love this on your fully loaded vegan nachos! I’m definitely going to be doing a recipe for vegan nachos where this tofu walnut taco meat is one of the stars of the show!
We used a dark soy sauce which is responsible for the great color of this taco meat. Dark soy sauce and tomato paste combine to create a really great color there.
We tried a batch using regular soy sauce and it was delicious but the color was not nearly so rich, so just bear that in mind.
Serve in tacos with shredded lettuce, salsa, guacamole and some vegan sour cream for a seriously delicious dinner!
I hope you’re going to love this vegan taco meat! It is:
- High in protein
- Crazy delicious!
Keep leftovers stored in the fridge and enjoy over the next few days. You can serve it cold or you can reheat.
So what do you think of this vegan taco meat? Let us know in the comments and please rate the recipe too! Thanks!
Sign up to our email list before you go, you’ll get an awesome 10-recipe ebook with delicious vegan dinner recipes and you’ll be the first to know when new recipes are posted to the blog.Print
Chewy and ‘meaty’ vegan taco meat! High in protein, versatile and crazy delicious, this tofu and walnut taco meat is ideal in your tacos or over the top of your nachos!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Add walnuts to the food processor and process into crumbles. Mash the tofu with a fork. Add the crushed walnuts and tofu pieces to a dish.
- Add the garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, nutritional yeast, olive oil, soy sauce, maple syrup and tomato paste to a jug and whisk into a thick sauce.
- Mix the sauce in with the tofu and walnut crumbles and mix in until everything is coated in the sauce.
- Transfer to a parchment lined baking tray and spread out evenly across the tray.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes, bring it out at the 15 minute mark and give it a stir and then put it back in.
- Serve in tacos with shredded lettuce, salsa, guacamole and vegan sour cream.
*If you want this vegan taco meat to be entirely gluten-free then use a gluten-free soy sauce or switch for tamari. If you use a regular (not dark) soy sauce, the color of the taco meat will be much lighter.
*This makes a fairly large portion, enough for 6 people if served with tacos and other fillings.
*Nutritional information is for vegan taco meat only and not anything else you would serve it with.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving (of 6)
- Calories: 342
- Sugar: 4.9g
- Sodium: 306mg
- Fat: 28.6g
- Saturated Fat: 3.2g
- Carbohydrates: 10.7g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Protein: 14.7g
Keywords: vegan taco meat