Chocolate and peanut butter may be a match made in heaven, but you know what’s also a match made in heaven? Banana and peanut butter!
So when I decided to make some vegan banana cupcakes, the natural choice for the frosting was peanut butter frosting!
I was at first a bit resistant to peanut butter frosting (I know – crazy!) because of having to use both butter AND peanut butter. To me that seemed like it might be a little bit of overkill. Like can’t peanut butter fulfill the role of both?
Nope! Nope nope nope. I have been forced to acknowledge over time exactly why this will never work. The texture of peanut butter plus powdered sugar is just not at all right for a frosting. It’s great for the filling in a peanut butter cup! But not for a frosting. For some reason, the vegan butter/margarine is just essential to the velvety texture of a frosting.
So now that we’ve cleared that up about the peanut butter frosting, how about those cupcakes?
These vegan banana cupcakes are moist, spongey, and totally delicious!
They are less dense than vegan banana muffins, which is great because they are cupcakes! You want more of the light and fluffy thing going on, which you have with these.
I’ve had to be a bit flexible on the baking time, it hasn’t been as straightforward as it would usually/ideally be. Somewhere between 30 and 40 minutes they are ready. Check them at 30 minutes and if a toothpick inserted into the center doesn’t come out clean, put them back in for a bit longer. Up to 40 minutes may be required.
You will love these vegan banana cupcakes, they are:
- Moist and spongey
- Light and fluffy
- Topped with a velvety peanut butter frosting
- Easy to make
- Deliciously aromatic while baking!
Keep them covered at room temperature and consume within a few days.
What do you think of these vegan banana cupcakes? Let me know in the comments! Please also rate the recipe if you make it and let us know how it worked out! Tag any pics #lovingitvegan on instagram so we don’t miss them!
For more delicious banana recipes, check out:
Sign up to our email list for a free recipe ebook (awesome!) and to stay updated with all our latest recipes!
Moist and spongey vegan banana cupcakes topped with peanut butter frosting. These easy to make cupcakes are light and fluffy and smell simply wonderful while baking!
For the Banana Cupcakes:
- 2 cups (250g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (200g) Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 and 1/3 cups (300g) Mashed Ripe Banana
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 3 Tbsp (45g) Coconut Oil
- 2 Tbsp Applesauce
- 1 Flax Egg (1 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed + 3 Tbsp Hot Water)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
For the Peanut Butter Frosting:
- 2 cups (250g) Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
- 1/3 cup (75g) Vegan Butter
- 1/3 cup (83g) Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Mix the lemon juice with the soy milk and allow to curdle.
- Add the bananas to a blender jug along with the soy milk and lemon juice, coconut oil and applesauce. Blend until smooth. Pour this over the dry ingredients and mix in.
- Prepare your flax egg by mixing 1 Tbsp of flaxseed meal with 3 Tbsp of Hot Water and allowing to sit for a minute to become gloopy. Add the flax egg to the mixing bowl along with the vanilla and mix in.
- Line a cupcake tray with liners and divide the batter evenly between them. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Transfer the cupcakes to a wire cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare your peanut butter frosting. Add the powdered sugar, vegan butter, peanut butter, vanilla and soy milk to the bowl of an electric mixer and starting at slow speed gradually increase speed until the frosting is thick and smooth. If your frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar. If it is too thick, add more soy milk a drop at a time until you reach the desired thickness.
- Frost the cupcakes and top with some crushed peanuts (optional).
*Recipe adapted from my Vegan Banana Bread Muffins
*Nutritional estimate is based on 1 cupcake of 12 with a generous topping of peanut butter frosting.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Cupcake (of 12)
- Calories: 351
- Sugar: 40.9g
- Sodium: 324mg
- Fat: 10.4g
- Saturated Fat: 3.9g
- Carbohydrates: 51.7g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 4.4g
Keywords: vegan banana cupcakes