This delicious vegan chickpea curry is creamy and perfectly spiced. It’s also ready in less than 30-minutes and makes a wonderful weeknight meal.
There’s always time for another vegan curry recipe and this vegan chickpea curry is all that and a bag of chips (translation: it’s divine!).
I was inspired by our vegan lentil curry to make this and it will definitely go onto the regular rotation from now on in our house.
It’s a perfect mix of spices and flavors in a super creamy sauce. But the best part is that it’s ready in less than 30 minutes and pretty much flop proof!
It is the perfect meal to make on a weeknight when you don’t have a lot of time but still want something really delicious to eat.
It’s also high in protein and fiber and all that good stuff.
How to make vegan chickpea curry
Add some olive oil to a pot along with some chopped onions, crushed garlic, garam masala (or curry powder), cumin, coriander powder, turmeric and cayenne pepper and sauté until the onions are softened.
Then add in some canned chickpeas, chopped tomatoes and coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Then let it simmer for around 10 minutes or so until the flavors are really well blended.
Add in a little coconut sugar for flavor balance and some salt and pepper as needed and that’s it!
Serve with some basmati rice or cauliflower rice if you prefer, and some fresh cilantro and you have a beautiful meal.
The Best Vegan Chickpea Curry
The spices really make this dish and I encourage you to use all of them.
We used a garam masala powder but you can also use a curry powder. The cumin and coriander powder complement the garam masala perfectly while a dash of cayenne pepper adds a little extra heat and the turmeric adds a little color.
We used canned chickpeas and canned tomatoes which is why this recipe comes together so fast!
Full fat coconut milk (from the can) provides the creaminess without overpowering the other flavors at all.
The result is a perfect blend that you will want to make many times over.
So I hope you’ll love this vegan chickpea curry as much as we do! It is:
- Perfectly spicy
- Ready in 30-minutes
Leftovers keep very well in the fridge and can be enjoyed over the next few days.
More Vegan Curry Recipes!
- Vegan Coconut Curry
- Vegan Green Curry
- Vegan Sweet Potato Curry
- Vegan Massaman Curry
- Vegan Potato Curry
- Vegan Korma
So let us know what you think of this vegan chickpea curry in the comments and please rate the recipe too. Thanks!
Sign up to our email list while you’re here and we’ll send you a gorgeous recipe ebook (entirely free) with 10 delicious vegan dinner recipes, and you’ll also be the first to know when new recipes are posted to the blog.
Vegan Chickpea Curry
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion White, Yellow or Brown, Chopped
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Garam Masala or Curry Powder
- ½ tsp Cumin
- ½ tsp Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2 (15-ounce) Cans Chickpeas Drained, or 3 cups cooked chickpeas
- 14 ounces Canned Chopped Tomatoes (1 can)
- 14 ounces Canned Coconut Milk (400ml) Full Fat, Unsweetened
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Sugar or Light Brown Sugar
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper To Taste
- Add the olive oil to a pot along with the chopped onions, crushed garlic, garam masala, cumin, coriander powder, turmeric and cayenne pepper and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Add the chickpeas, chopped tomato and coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Let it simmer for around 10 minutes until the flavors are blended.
- Add coconut sugar and mix in. Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve over basmati rice or cauliflower rice with some fresh cilantro.
- We used two 15-ounce (425g) cans of chickpeas in this recipe. If you would prefer to use cooked chickpeas (not canned) then the amount to use is 3 cups. If you're using cans, there's no need to measure it in cups, just use two full cans (drained).
- Nutritional information is for curry only and does not include rice.