I’m in love with these vegan key lime cupcakes!
They are perfectly flavored gorgeous little packages of deliciousness.
I took a while to figure these out though! I wasn’t sure how much lime juice/lime zest to use. And then I wasn’t sure if I wanted to dye these guys green or stick with their natural coloring.
In the end I settled on a mix of a little lime juice with a little more lime zest, and let the color stay au naturale. For the frosting on the other hand, I decided on green!
Just a couple of drops of green food coloring made the frosting this gorgeous shade of lime green!
The flavor for the frosting comes from lime juice, so if you want to forego the food coloring you can definitely do so.
And then a sprinkle of lime zest on top makes these the perfect key lime cupcakes.
Although, about that, I used regular limes and not key limes as key limes are hard to find where I am. But either or should work the same way for this.
The lime flavor in the cupcakes is subtle, but the overall effect when you bite into the cupcake with the lime frosting and the zest and the subtle lime flavor of the cupcake itself, creates a perfectly lime flavored taste experience.
If you wanted to intensify the lime flavor of the cupcake, you could add some lime extract or lime oil, but these are ingredients you’d generally have to order as they’re not easily available.
Don’t put lime zest in the frosting, because it will make it harder to pipe, on top is just perfect.
I really think you will love these key lime cupcakes, they are:
- Perfectly moist
- Lime infused
- Topped with velvety lime frosting
- So pretty!
The lime flavor actually offsets the sweetness in a wonderful way so that there’s a lovely flavor balance between the tartness of the lime and the sweetness of the cupcake and frosting. Too delicious really!
Keep these covered where they will stay wonderfully fresh for a couple of days or covered in the fridge where they will last for up to a week. They’re at their best in the first few days when they’re freshest though, so keep that in mind.
So let us know what you think of these vegan key lime cupcakes! Comment down below! And if you make them, please rate the recipe too as that is so helpful.
For more fabulous cupcakes check out:
And heaps more! Also sign up for our mailing list while you’re here, you’ll get an awesome free ebook containing 10 great recipes, and you’ll stay updated with all our latest recipe posts!Print
Deliciously moist and spongey vegan key lime cupcakes topped with a velvety lime frosting and lime zest. Absolutely perfect for any special occasion!
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 and 3/4 cups (220g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (200g) Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Lime (juiced – added to a measuring jug and then….)
- Add Almond Milk up to the 1 cup line
- Zest from 2 Limes
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Olive or Canola Oil
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar (or Apple Cider Vinegar)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
For the Lime Frosting:
- 3 cups (375g) Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
- 1/4 cup (56g) Vegan Butter
- 3 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 1-2 drops Green Food Coloring
- Lime Zest
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Squeeze a lime into a measuring jug and then add almond milk up to the 1 cup line. It will curdle. This is fine. Pour it into the mixing bowl.
- Add in zest from 2 limes, olive oil, vinegar and vanilla extract and whisk briefly to remove lumps and combine.
- Line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners and divide the batter evenly between them.
- Place into the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare your frosting by adding the powdered sugar, vegan butter, lime juice and green food coloring to the bowl of an electric mixer and then starting at slow speed, gradually increase speed until it’s thick and smooth. If your frosting is too thin add more powdered sugar, if too thick add lime juice a drop at a a time until the right consistency is reached. You want it to be very thick so it pipes well, but not so thick that it won’t come out your piping bag.
- When the cupcakes are completely cooled, pipe on the frosting and top with lime zest.
- Serving Size: 1 Cupcake (with frosting)
- Calories: 332
- Sugar: 48mg
- Sodium: 247mg
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2g
- Carbohydrates: 63g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Protein: 2g