The most delicious vegan mushroom stroganoff ever! It’s ready in 30 minutes, bursting with flavor and made with vegan sour cream.
This vegan mushroom stroganoff is so good. It has all that mushroom flavor you can dream of with that perfect stroganoff tang from some homemade vegan sour cream.
I basically looked at traditional (meat) recipes for stroganoff and went with a pretty classic way of making this dish, just minus the meat and dairy. And really, even your omni friends and family won’t mind eating this, they really won’t.
It’s creamy and rich and everything a stroganoff is supposed to be.
It’s also really quick and easy and comes together in around 30 minutes. So it’s a meal you will want to repeat many times over.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Flat pasta shapes like linguine or pappardelle or wide fettucine are great to serve with this as they soak up the sauce nicely. But you can really use any pasta.
- Cremini mushrooms are great for this meal, they’re also known as baby bella’s, portobellini mushrooms or brown button mushrooms. White button mushrooms would also work fine for this.
- Dijon mustard works so great for flavor in this meal but you can also use any prepared yellow mustard.
- Vegan sour cream. I used a full batch of our homemade vegan sour cream but if you want to use a store-bought vegan sour cream then you can. Just use 1 cup (240ml).
- Strain your vegetable stock if it has little bits of dehydrated vegetables in it. Those little bits of veg affect the overall creamy look of this delicious dish.
Vegan Sour Cream Ingredients:
Vegan Sour Cream Notes
- Apple cider vinegar – provides the tang for this sour cream.
- Nutritional yeast – adds flavor but can be omitted if needed.
- Lemon juice – can be freshly squeezed or bottled.
Top Tip: As mentioned above, you can make up a batch of your own homemade vegan sour cream as we did, or, if you prefer to buy a ready-made vegan sour cream, you can simply use 1 cup.
How To Make Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff – Step by Step
You will find full instructions and measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a summary of the process to go along with the process photos.
- Put your pasta on to cook according to your package instructions. And while that’s cooking, you can start your sauce.
- Add vegan butter to a pot along with chopped onions and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Add sliced mushrooms and crushed garlic and fry until the mushrooms are softened.
- Add all purpose flour and fry the mushrooms with the flour for around 1 minute.
- Add vegetable stock and stir until combined.
- Then add soy sauce, dijon mustard and vegan sour cream and simmer until thickened.
- Serve with the pasta and some chopped chives.
If you’re making the vegan sour cream from scratch, then prepare it before you start. It’s quick to make, but you want to have that ready when you start assembling the recipe.
If your blender is a weaker model, then you may also need to soak your cashews beforehand so just bear that in mind. If you have a strong blender like a Vitamix or Blendtec then there is no need to soak the cashews first.
If you do want to soak the cashews, then add them to a bowl and pour over boiling hot water from the kettle. Leave to soak for 15 minutes.
Vegan Stroganoff Q&A
You can use a gluten-free all purpose flour blend instead of regular flour in this recipe. You’ll also want to make sure your soy sauce is gluten-free or use tamari instead. And, of course, you’ll need to serve it with gluten-free pasta.
Keep leftovers in the fridge where they will keep very well for a few days (3-4).
Yes, it is freezer friendly if you want to freeze it.
More Easy Vegan Pasta Recipes
- Vegan Carbonara
- Vegan Mushroom Pasta
- Vegan Pesto Pasta
- Vegan Alfredo
- Vegetable Linguine
- Vegan Stuffed Shells
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and rating below!
Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
For the Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff:
- 8 ounces Pasta (226g) Dry Weight
- Chopped Chives For Serving
- Put the pasta on to cook according to the package instructions.
- Get all your ingredients ready for your sauce.
- Then add in the vegan butter to a pot along with the chopped onions sauté until the onions are softened. Then add in the sliced mushrooms and crushed garlic and fry until the mushrooms are softened.
- Add in the flour and fry with the mushrooms and onions for 1 minute. Then add in the vegetable stock and stir in until combined. Add the soy sauce and dijon mustard and then the full batch of vegan sour cream.
- Simmer until thickened.
- Serve over the pasta with some chopped chives.
- Cremini mushrooms are also called portobellini mushrooms, baby bella mushrooms or brown button mushrooms. You can also use regular white button mushrooms in this recipe.
- If your vegetable stock has pieces of dehydrated vegetables in it then it’s best to strain it first.
- If you make our homemade vegan sour cream then just use the full batch of it in this recipe.
- We used papardelle pasta in this recipe (wide flat pasta noodles), but you can use any pasta that you like.
- If you’d like to make this meal gluten-free then serve it with gluten-free pasta and use a gluten-free all purpose flour blend instead of regular flour. Also make sure your soy sauce is gluten-free or switch it for tamari instead.
- The time for this recipe does not include the time spent making the vegan sour cream if you’re using the homemade version.
- Nutritional information is for everything including the pasta and a full batch of homemade vegan sour cream.
- This recipe was first published in May 2019. It has been updated with lots of extra tips but the recipe itself is unchanged.