Ooooh this vegan pumpkin cake you guys! Soooo good.
I searched high and low in our small town for some canned pumpkin because when you’re making pumpkin desserts, canned pumpkin purée is the business!
Sadly though it seems canned pumpkin isn’t a ‘thing’ around here. I guess pumpkin desserts aren’t really a thing around here either. Maybe folks here don’t realize how good they are!
So I had to do things the old fashioned way and make pumpkin purée from scratch! Was pretty easy really, just bought some ready peeled and chopped pumpkin cubes and baked them on a parchment lined baking tray at 350°F (180°C) for 30 minutes. No spices or oils, just plain.
And when baked, you just let it cool and then puree it in a food processor! The baking part gets rid of any excess moisture so you don’t end up with pumpkin puree that is too ‘wet’. But if you do, you can just stand the pumpkin purée in a strainer so any excess water runs off.
So it was really too easy. Probably still better to use canned though if you can get it, saves time!
And then when it comes to the frosting, I had a look around the web to see what a good pairing usually is and I saw a lot of recipes using a brown butter frosting.
So, naively I set out to try and make one using the vegan butter I’m getting here at the moment. And oh my what an utter disaster. You don’t even want to know how gross that turned out.
So it seems browning butter really needs actual butter! Hahaha! Who knew (probably everyone). Apparently it’s the milk proteins in the butter that brown, and there ain’t any of those in the vegan varieties!
So then I decided on a cinnamon buttercream frosting and that was just perfect.
There’s cinnamon and other spices in the pumpkin cake and so the pairing with a cinnamon flavored frosting did the job fabulously well.
And then I sprinkled it with some extra cinnamon and tossed some crushed walnuts on top and the result was utterly divine.
This vegan pumpkin cake sort of reminded us of carrot cake! Or a spice cake!
It’s deliciously spiced in the same way that a carrot cake usually is, with the cinnamon and the nutmeg and it’s also sweetened with brown sugar.
This pumpkin cake adds in some ground ginger and cloves too, so it’s really a treat.
So if you like carrot cake, or spice cake, then you’ll love this too!
You will love this fabulous vegan pumpkin cake, it is:
- Wonderfully spicy
- Perfectly moist
- Light and fluffy
- Topped with cinnamon buttercream frosting
- Gorgeously colorful!
Keep it covered at room temperature where it will stay fresh for a few days, or keep it covered in the fridge where it will stay fresh for up to a week!
So let us know what you think of this vegan pumpkin cake! So pretty isn’t it! And please do rate the recipe too, thanks so much.
And if you love cakes, you’ll probably love these beauties too:
- Vegan Carrot Cake
- Vegan Chocolate Cake
- Vegan Red Velvet Cake
- Vegan Vanilla Cake
- Chocolate Sheet Cake
- Vegan Banana Cake
There’s heaps more, but that’ll do for now!
And while you’re here sign up for our email list!
You’ll get a free recipe ebook (awesome!) and you’ll stay updated with all our latest recipes (Whee!).
Perfectly moist and utterly delicious vegan pumpkin cake with a cinnamon buttercream frosting. Spicy and colorful and ideal for any special occasion!
For the Pumpkin Cake:
- 2 cups (250g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (200g) Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) White Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1 and 1/2 cups (337g) Pumpkin Purée (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Flax Egg
For the Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting:
- 3 and 3/4 cups (450g) Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter/Margarine
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 Tbsp Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- Crushed Walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves.
- Prepare your flax egg by adding 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed meal to a bowl and then adding in 3 Tbsp of Hot Water and allowing to sit for a minute to become gloopy.
- Add the pumpkin purée, vanilla, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and flax egg to the mixing bowl and mix in very well. The batter will be thick.
- Spray two 7 inch cake tins with non-stick spray and then add a circle of parchment paper to the base of each cake tin.
- Divide the batter equally between the cake tins.
- Place into the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare your frosting by adding the powdered sugar, vegan butter, vanilla and soy milk to the bowl of an electric mixer. Starting at slow speed, gradually increase the speed until smooth. If your frosting is too thick, add in soy milk a drop at a time until it reaches the right consistency. If it is too thin, add in more powdered sugar.
- Add the cinnamon in last and mix on low until just mixed in.
- When your cakes are completely cooled, frost the top of one of the layers. Then add the other layer on top and frost the whole cake.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and add crushed walnuts to the top.
*I used homemade pumpkin purée. I baked the peeled and chopped pumpkin in the oven (plain, no oils or spices) for 30 minutes at 350°F (180°C) until soft and cooked and then pureed it in the food processor. If you do it this way and your purée is a bit ‘wet’ then stand it in a strainer so any excess water can run off.
*Nutritional information is an estimate based on 1 slice of 10 with a generous amount of cinnamon buttercream frosting. Excludes crushed walnuts.
*For the most accurate results, weigh your flour and your pumpkin purée.
*Recipe adapted from our Vegan Carrot Cake.
- Category: Desserts, Cakes
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 10)
- Calories: 501
- Sugar: 75.1g
- Sodium: 375mg
- Fat: 11.4g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8g
- Carbohydrates: 98.3g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Protein: 3.2g
Keywords: vegan pumpkin cake