These vegan peanut butter balls are the best ever! Creamy and smooth peanut butter centers are smothered in rich chocolate.
Who loves peanut butter and chocolate? Me Me Me! And most likely you too. Am I right?
If so, then you’re just going to love me for this recipe (send gifts!).
Vegan peanut butter balls are it. Smothered in vegan chocolate and then sprinkled with crushed peanuts, they are perfect mouthfuls of delish.
For a moment I was a little bit concerned that I may be going overboard with this recipe. I mean vegan whipped cream AND peanut butter?
But then I had to laugh, because really the words ‘going overboard’ and ‘confectionary’ have no relation to each other. Like what’s that?
I was pretty excited at the idea of having these in the fridge for occasional snack attacks – that is of course until I noticed that Jaye was eating them at a rate of roughly 4 per hour, then I realized they were not going to be around that long!
Made with peanut butter, vegan whipped cream (I used whipped coconut cream, but you can really use any vegan whipped cream) and powdered sugar, rolled into balls, frozen and then dipped in melted vegan chocolate, these vegan peanut butter balls make a fabulous sweet snack or dessert.
How To Make Vegan Peanut Butter Balls
You will find full instructions and measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a summary of the process to go along with the process photos.
- Add peanut butter and powdered sugar to the mixing bowl and with the electric mixer on low speed mix it in. It will be crumbly.
- Slowly add vegan whipped cream until you achieve a thick consistency that you can easily roll into balls.
- Roll the peanut butter mix into balls, aim for 20 balls, and place them evenly onto a parchment lined tray.
- Place the balls into the freezer for a couple of hours until they have set solidly.
- Melt vegan chocolate and dip the balls into the melted chocolate. Use two teaspoons to dunk the balls in and then lift them out of the chocolate. Place them back onto the parchment lined tray and sprinkle with crushed peanuts.
- When all the balls are covered in chocolate, place them into the fridge for around 10 minutes for the chocolate to set.
- Keep the balls stored in the fridge and serve them directly from the fridge.
Make sure your peanut butter mix is not too wet. These vegan peanut butter balls are really easy to make. The only tricky part is making sure the mix is not too wet. If you make it too wet, you won’t be able to roll it into balls. Err on the side of caution: too dry is easily fixed, too wet and it’s a flop! You can try and fix it by adding in heaps more powdered sugar, but you don’t want to go that route, the trick is to add in the vegan whipped cream slowly.
As soon as the peanut butter and powdered sugar goes from crumbles to mixed in (even while still very dry looking – as in our picture above), it’s likely good enough. Test a bit of the dough to see if you can roll it into a ball. If you can, you’re good to go.
Vegan whipped cream is a lovely flavor addition to these vegan peanut butter balls. So it’s great to make these if you have some leftover vegan whipped cream going and want to use it up!
Use a creamy brand of peanut butter. Commercial brands of creamy peanut butter work best in this recipe. Natural style peanut butters don’t work as well and may make the mixture too wet.
You can use any vegan whipped cream. If you happen to have some vegan whipped cream left over from another dessert then it’s the perfect time to make up a batch of these! Or use any store-bought vegan whipped cream.
You can melt down vegan chocolate chips or any good tasting vegan chocolate bar. Any good tasting chocolate chips or vegan chocolate bar that melts well can be used for this recipe.
Storing and Freezing
Keep them stored in the fridge and serve them directly from the fridge. They store very well and will stay good for up to 2 weeks. If you’d like to keep them longer then freeze them. They freeze super well for months.
More Delicious Peanut Butter Desserts
- Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
- Vegan Peanut Butter Cups
- Vegan Peanut Butter Fudge
- Vegan Peanut Butter Bars
- Vegan Peanut Butter Pancakes
- Vegan Peanut Butter Pie
Vegan Peanut Butter Balls
For Decoration (Optional):
- Crushed Peanuts
- Add the peanut butter and powdered sugar to the mixing bowl and with the electric mixer on low speed mix it in. It will be crumbly.
- Slowly add the vegan whipped cream until you achieve a thick consistency that you can easily roll into balls. You may not need to add all your whipped cream, it depends on the brand of peanut butter you're using, so go slow when you add in the whipped cream.
- Roll the peanut butter mix into balls - aim to get 20 balls - and place them evenly on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Place them into the freezer for a couple of hours until the balls have set solidly.
- Place the vegan chocolate into a microwave safe dish. Microwave in 30-second intervals, bringing it out to stir every 30-seconds until your chocolate is melted. Add in the coconut oil and stir it in (makes the chocolate a little thinner and easier to work with).
- Place each ball into the melted chocolate and use two teaspoons to cover it in chocolate and then lift it out and place it back onto the parchment lined baking tray. Sprinkle with crushed peanuts (optional).
- When all the balls are covered in chocolate, place in the fridge for around 10 minutes for the chocolate to set.
- Keep the balls stored in the fridge and serve directly from the fridge.
- You can use any vegan whipped cream here, I used coconut whipped cream, but you can use any variety at all, so long as it's whipped.
- Prep time does not include time spent setting in the freezer/fridge.
- This recipe was first published in December 2015.