These simple vegan brownies are moist, fudgy and beautifully textured. They are also SO easy to make. Serve with vegan cream or ice cream for a fabulous dessert.
Oh wow, these vegan brownies you guys! Fudgy and rich and everything a brownie should be.
Topped with vegan whipped cream and drizzled with melted chocolate because dessert.
The tops get all nice and shiny and cracked, which is just perfect for brownies don’t you think?
The best way to eat these brownies is with some vegan whipped cream or some delicious vegan ice cream. If you serve them nice and warm from the oven with cream or ice cream, well that’s even better!
Lots of cocoa!
There is a lot of cocoa in this recipe, which gives it the extremely rich chocolate flavor. But to counter-balance the cocoa, you need more sugar, so don’t be shocked out of your little cotton socks by the fact of 2 cups of sugar. Every granule is put to good use to create the most delicious vegan brownies ever.
For a little extra kick and to enhance the flavors I added a little instant coffee powder to the recipe as well. And I think it worked great. You don’t really taste the coffee but there is the sense of a little something something going on to create an extra layer of flavor.
With brownies you’re not going for light and fluffy but rather dense and fudgy and that is what you have here in abundance. Extra moist, fudgy and decadent brownies that are super rich and chocolatey.
How To Make Easy Vegan Brownies
These brownies are really so easy!
Preheat your oven to 350°F and spray a square 9×9 inch baking dish with non-stick spray and line it with parchment paper.
Sift flour and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl and add sugar, baking powder and salt.
Prepare a batch of vegan buttermilk by adding some lemon juice to a measuring jug and then adding soy milk up to the 1 cup line (you can also use almond milk for this step). Let it curdle.
Then add the vegan buttermilk to the mixing bowl along with some vegetable oil and vanilla and mix in.
Pour out into your prepared baking dish and smooth down with the back of a spoon. Your batter will be very thick (see above and video).
Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clear. Moist crumbs are okay but wet batter is not. Mine took exactly 38 minutes but ovens differ.
You will love these easy vegan brownies! They are:
- Beautifully textured
- Super fudgy
- Rich and extremely chocolatey
- Thick and dense
- Super moist and flavorful
Serve warm if possible. Leftovers keep very well at room temperature or in the fridge for up to a week. You can warm them up in the microwave and then serve.
You can also freeze them for up to 6 months!
More Vegan Chocolate Desserts
- Vegan Chocolate Brownies
- The Best Vegan Chocolate Cake
- Vegan Chocolate Pie
- Vegan Chocolate Truffles
- Classic Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
- Homemade Vegan Chocolate
If you’re keen to try a gluten-free version of these brownies, then check out our vegan gluten free brownies recipe.
So what do you think of these decadent vegan brownies? I highly recommend you make them pronto. And let us know how it goes.
Simple Vegan Brownies
For the Brownies:
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour (250g)
- 1 cup Cocoa Powder (86g) Unsweetened
- 2 cups White Granulated Sugar (400g)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Vegan Buttermilk (240ml) 1 Tbsp lemon juice + soy milk up to the 1 cup line
- 1 Tbsp Instant Coffee Powder
- 1 cup Vegetable Oil (240ml) or Canola Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and spray a 9x9 inch square baking dish with non-stick spray and line the bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Prepare the vegan buttermilk by adding 1 Tbsp lemon juice into a measuring jug and then adding soy milk up to the 1 cup (240ml) line. Allow to sit for a minute to curdle.
- Add the vegan buttermilk, instant coffee powder, vegetable oil and vanilla to the mixing bowl and mix in well.
- Pour the batter out into your prepared baking dish and smooth down with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clear (moist crumbs are fine, wet batter is not!). Mine took exactly 38 minutes but ovens will differ.
- Cut into squares (9, 12 or 16 squares) and serve with vegan whipped cream or vegan ice cream and drizzles of melted vegan chocolate.
- Weigh your flour for accurate results or use the 'spoon the level' method. Spoon the flour into your measuring cup and then level off the top with a knife. Don't scoop it and don't pack it into the cup.
- You can make your vegan buttermilk with almond milk too if you prefer. It results in a thinner consistency but it still works.
- You can pretty much use any vegetable oil for these brownies or canola oil. If you are going to use coconut oil make sure it's melted first.
- Nutritional information is for 1 Large Brownie (of 9) without additional toppings.
- The dish I used was 9x9 inch square.