These simple vegan brownies are moist, fudgy and beautifully textured. They are also SO easy to make. Serve with vegan cream or ice cream for a fabulous dessert.
Oh wow, these vegan brownies you guys! Fudgy, rich, decadent and everything a brownie should be.
Topped with vegan whipped cream and drizzled with melted chocolate because dessert.
The tops get all nice and shiny and cracked, which is just perfect for brownies don’t you think?
Cocoa powder. There is a lot of cocoa in this recipe, which gives it the extremely rich chocolate flavor.
White granulated sugar. To counter-balance lots of cocoa, you need more sugar, so don’t be shocked out of your little cotton socks by the fact of 2 cups of sugar. Every granule is put to good use to create the most delicious vegan brownies ever.
Instant coffee powder. For a little extra kick and to enhance the flavors I added a little instant coffee powder to the recipe as well. You don’t taste the coffee but it really ramps up the chocolate flavor.
Vegan buttermilk. We used homemade vegan buttermilk in this recipe. It’s ideally made with soy milk for a really rich and creamy version. However, it can also be made with almond milk.
Vegetable oil. This can be switched for canola oil. Melted coconut oil also works but can be harder to mix in since it’s a thick batter.
How To Make Easy Vegan Brownies
You will find full instructions and measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a summary of the process to go along with the process photos.
- Sift flour and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl and add sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix together.
- Prepare your vegan buttermilk by adding lemon juice to a measuring jug and then adding soy milk up to the 1 cup line (you can also use almond milk for this step). Let it curdle.
- Add the vegan buttermilk to the mixing bowl along with oil and vanilla and mix into a batter.
- Transfer the batter to a 9×9 square baking dish (sprayed with non-stick spray and lined with parchment paper) and smooth down with the back of a spoon. Your batter will be very thick.
- Bake at 350°F for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clear. Moist crumbs are okay but wet batter is not. Mine took exactly 38 minutes but ovens differ.
- Cut into squares (9, 12 or 16 squares).
- And your brownies are ready to serve!
Make Them Gluten Free
If you’re keen to try a gluten-free version of these brownies, then check out our vegan gluten free brownies recipe.
Leftovers keep very well at room temperature or in the fridge for up to a week. You can warm them up in the microwave and then serve.
You can also freeze them for up to 6 months!
More Vegan Chocolate Desserts
- Vegan Chocolate Brownies
- The Best Vegan Chocolate Cake
- Vegan Chocolate Pie
- Vegan Chocolate Truffles
- Classic Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
- Homemade Vegan Chocolate
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and rating below!
Simple Vegan Brownies
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour (250g)
- 1 cup Cocoa Powder (86g) Unsweetened
- 2 cups White Granulated Sugar (400g)
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Vegan Buttermilk (240ml) 1 Tbsp lemon juice + soy milk up to the 1 cup line
- 1 Tablespoon Instant Coffee Powder
- 1 cup Vegetable Oil (240ml) or Canola Oil
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Vegan Whipped Cream
- Melted Vegan Chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and spray a 9×9 inch square baking dish with non-stick spray and line the bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Sift all purpose flour and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl and add white granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix together.
- Prepare the vegan buttermilk by adding 1 Tablespoon lemon juice to a measuring jug and then adding soy milk up to the 1 cup (240ml) line. Allow to sit for a minute to curdle.
- Add the vegan buttermilk, instant coffee powder, vegetable oil and vanilla extract to the mixing bowl and mix in well.
- Pour the batter out into your prepared baking dish and smooth down with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clear (moist crumbs are fine, wet batter is not). Mine took exactly 38 minutes but ovens will differ.
- Cut into squares (9, 12 or 16 squares) and serve with vegan whipped cream or vegan ice cream and drizzles of melted vegan chocolate.
- Weigh your flour for accurate results or use the ‘spoon the level’ method. Spoon the flour into your measuring cup and then level off the top with a knife. Don’t scoop it and don’t pack it into the cup.
- You can make your vegan buttermilk with almond milk too if you prefer. It results in a thinner consistency but it still works.
- You can pretty much use any vegetable oil for these brownies or canola oil. If you are going to use coconut oil make sure it’s melted first.
- Nutritional information is for 1 Large Brownie (of 9) without additional toppings.