Ultra creamy vegan vanilla ice cream. So easy to make with the most perfectly smooth, rich, melt-in-the-mouth ice cream texture.
This vegan vanilla ice cream is smooth and rich with melt-in-the-mouth creaminess and has a perfect ice cream mouthfeel.
It’s also very versatile and easy to customize with different flavors.
When I first thought about making this ice cream I knew it had to be the creamiest, smoothest most delicious vegan ice cream. So the experimenting began!
The first batch I made I blended the ingredients together, and then churned them up in the ice cream maker. Hmmm. Pretty good! But I thought the texture could be better.
So my inquiring mind was wondering – should I heat the mix up first? If so WHY?
So I researched online and came across an article explaining the why of it all. Heating the ingredients up first is to homogenize the fats so that they don’t have a grainy texture.
So the next batch, I heated the ingredients to a simmer, then blended them to really smooth out the fats. Let the mix cool and then churned it. And then…..oh wow, creamy ice cream perfection.
How To Make Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream
Making this vegan vanilla ice cream is really straightforward.
You heat your ingredients to a simmer, and then blend the mix for 30 seconds, this removes all graininess from your mix.
Then you let the mixture cool down (ideally overnight in the refrigerator, but in a push you can cool it for a couple of hours in the freezer), then churn it in the ice cream maker until it reaches soft serve consistency.
Transfer it to a loaf pan, cover with foil and allow it to set in the freezer.
Enjoy it plain or with Golden Oreo sprinkles or nuts or a drizzle of vegan caramel sauce.
It’s also totally divine to serve this vegan vanilla ice cream with some vegan apple cake or with a slice of vegan apple crisp!
This ice cream is most delicious eaten fresh, within a week, though of course it keeps in the freezer – it’s ice cream after all.
But even with the most creamy smooth ice cream, if it sits in the freezer too long, some ice crystals can enter the mix and that makes it not quite as delicious as time goes on.
More Vegan Ice Cream Recipes
- Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream
- Vegan Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- Vegan Mango Ice Cream
- Vegan Pumpkin Ice Cream
- Vegan Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Vegan Salted Caramel Ice Cream
Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream
- 14 ounces Canned Coconut Milk (400ml) Full Fat, Unsweetened
- 14 ounces Canned Coconut Cream (400ml) Unsweetened
- ½ cup White Granulated Sugar (100g)
- ¼ cup Golden Syrup (60ml) or Maple Syrup
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Powder
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- The day before, place the freezer bowl of your ice cream maker into the freezer to freeze properly.
- Next, place all the ingredients (except for the vanilla) into a pot and bring to a simmer – stirring all the while.
- As soon as it reaches a simmer, remove from heat, add the vanilla extract and vanilla powder and using an immersion (handheld) blender, blend for 30 seconds. You can also transfer to a blender jug and blend it in that – just ensure the lid is on very firmly.
- Pour the mixture into a container, cover and chill in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, pour the chilled mixture into your ice cream maker and churn as per the ice cream makers instructions until it reaches a soft serve consistency. This can take anywhere from 25-40 minutes depending on your ice cream maker.
- When it reaches soft serve consistency, move it to a loaf pan or other freezer safe container, smooth down, cover and place into the freezer to set.
- Scoop with a hot scoop (dipped in hot water) to allow for easier serving. Serve topped with crushed Golden Oreo cookies (optional).
- Vanilla powder is totally optional here, I used it to create extra vanilla flavor, but if you don’t have it on hand you can easily omit this.
- Inspired by Serious Eats.
- Nutrition estimate is for a ½ cup serving without Oreo sprinkles.
- Prep time does not include chilling the mixture or time spent setting in the freezer.
Best ice cream ever! Easy to make and so delicious.
Alison Andrews says
Thanks so much Nathalie!
I’ve made this so many times I even bought an ice-cream machine just for this recipe. It’s that good! I really appreciated that the ingredients are things I always have on hand and that there are no cashews either! I always sub the syrup for agave and I increase the vanilla extract. So delicious every time! I recommend serving it with homemade vegan chocolate ganache or vegan salted caramel sauce. Thank you Allison for the amazing recipe!
Alison Andrews says
So happy to hear that Lily! Thanks so much!