This vegan bolognese is so tasty!
It is a mix of walnuts, mushrooms, lentils and tofu with tomato and spices. Served with some spaghetti it is the most delicious vegan spaghetti bolognese you’ve ever had!
It’s also really easy. We wanted it to be really hearty and filling, and it is! It’s also really thick and ‘meaty’. Yes, I went there! It’s ‘meaty’ without being actually meaty.
Mushrooms are known for their ‘meaty’ texture and the mushrooms combined with the tofu and the walnuts really create that great bolognese texture. Lentils is really just a bonus! They add extra protein and fiber too.
How to make the best vegan bolognese!
Top tips for this vegan bolognese are to fry the walnut/mushroom/tofu/lentil mix until it’s no longer wet. Then add the tomato paste and canned tomato.
If you prefer your bolognese sauce to be more ‘saucy’ then add more canned tomato than what we used in this recipe. We actually used a can of crushed tomatoes, but a can of chopped tomato will also work just fine.
Served with a little grated vegan parmesan cheese and some fresh basil, you’ll be quite a happy chappy with this for dinner.
We found a brand of vegan parmesan cheese from Violife that we used here that was very tasty, but you can of course also make your own vegan parmesan cheese!
Want to make it gluten-free?
This vegan bolognese sauce is gluten-free if you use a gluten-free soy sauce (or sub for tamari) so if you’re gluten-free then serve it with gluten-free spaghetti and you’ll be golden.
So I hope you’ll love this vegan bolognese as much as we do (and oh my, we really do!). It is:
- Super filling and satisfying
- High in protein
- Deliciously textured
- Gluten-Free Optional
- Really easy to make
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge and reheated the next day for a delicious lunch!
Please post your comments on this vegan spaghetti bolognese down below and please rate the recipe as well. Thank you!
Want more delicious vegan pastas and sauces?
Here you are:
Sign up to our email list before you go, you’ll get a fabulous (and free) recipe ebook with 10 delicious vegan dinner recipes. You’ll also be the first to know when new recipes are posted to the blog.
Hearty vegan bolognese sauce made with tofu, walnuts, mushrooms and lentils for a super satisfying, high protein and deliciously textured bolognese.
- 1 8oz (~220g) Block Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 cup (100g) Walnuts (Finely Chopped)
- 18oz (500g) Brown Mushrooms (Portobellini)
- 1 15oz (425g) Can Brown Lentils (Drained)
- 1 Onion (Chopped)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce*
- 1/2 cup (130g) Tomato Paste
- 1 14oz (400ml) Can Crushed Tomato*
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Mash the tofu with a fork and add to a mixing bowl.
- Place the walnuts into the food processor and process until finely chopped and then add to the mixing bowl with the tofu.
- Add the mushrooms to the food processor and process until finely chopped and add to the mixing bowl.
- Add the drained lentils to the mixing bowl.
- Mix up the tofu, walnuts, mushrooms and lentils together.
- Add the chopped onion and olive oil to a frying pan and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Then add in your tofu/walnut/mushroom/lentil mix along with crushed garlic, dried basil, oregano, cayenne pepper and dark soy sauce and stir fry for a couple of minutes letting the bolognese cook off some of the water, so it’s not too wet.
- Then add in the tomato paste and crushed tomatoes and keep frying for a few minutes until you reach a good consistency.
- Stir in the coconut sugar and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over spaghetti and top with fresh basil and vegan parmesan cheese.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge and reheated the next day.
*Crushed tomatoes can be switched for canned chopped tomatoes.
*Use a gluten-free soy sauce or tamari to make this bolognese sauce entirely gluten-free.
*Nutritional information is for bolognese only and does not include spaghetti.
- Category: Entree, Dinner, Savory, Gluten-Free
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 6)
- Calories: 399
- Sugar: 11.4g
- Sodium: 430mg
- Fat: 16.2g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9g
- Carbohydrates: 46.8g
- Fiber: 8.7g
- Protein: 21.8g
Keywords: vegan bolognese