This caramel cream pie was inspired by a favorite pie recipe in South Africa called Peppermint Caramel Tart.
Peppermint Caramel Tart consists of a layer of Tennis Biscuits (coconut biscuits) mixed with butter as the crust, then a layer of Carnation Caramel in the center, a layer of freshly whipped cream on top, garnished with grated peppermint chocolate, usually peppermint Aero or something similar.
Yep, it’s a dairy disaster! But no doubt it’s very tasty.
So I wanted to recreate a vegan inspired version, not trying to replicate it exactly, but just inspired by it.
Even though I can get vegan coconut biscuits, I was pretty keen to try a pretzel crust, because I was kind of positive the salty pretzels would go super well with the über sweet date caramel.
And oh man – I was so right about that!
A double batch of Vegan whipped coconut cream made up the top layer, and I grated a bit of vegan dark mint chocolate on top.
And it was a winner. A serious winner. I swear I only got in one tiny slice and Jaye polished off the rest of it in record time.
This pie is salty, super sweet, rich, mint chocolatey, smooth and creamy.
You will love the different textures for each layer and how each bite is a perfect blend between salty, sweet and creamy.
Ideal for any occasion requiring a kick-ass dessert, birthdays, parties, or just Sunday afternoon teatime, hey I don’t judge!
If you make this fabulous pie, don’t deprive us of seeing the results!
Take a photo and tag it #lovingitvegan on Instagram!
We’ll love you for ever and ever!
And let us know how you found the recipe by coming back here rating it and leaving a comment!
Gorgeous Vegan Caramel Cream Pie. Inspired by South African favorite, the Peppermint Caramel Tart! Salty, sweet and fabulously creamy, this pie is ideal for any special occasion!
- For the Crust:
- 4 oz (112g) Ground Pretzels
- 2.5 oz (70g) Raw Cashews
- 1/4 cup (50g) Sugar
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter
- For the Date Caramel Center:
- 2 cups (350g) pitted and chopped Dates (approx 40 medium sized Dates)
- Cream portion from 1 14 oz (400ml) can Coconut Cream
- For the Whipped Cream Topping
- Cream portion from 2 14 oz (400ml) cans Coconut Cream
- 6 Tbsp Powdered Sugar
- For the Decoration:
- Vegan Dark Mint Chocolate
- Place all 3 cans of coconut cream into the coldest part of your refrigerator and leave there overnight.
- When you’re ready to begin – preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit (180 degrees celsius).
- Place the pretzels and cashews into the food processor and process until finely crumbled.
- Move into a mixing bowl and add the sugar.
- Melt the vegan butter and pour it over the crumbled mix.
- Mix it in well and then smooth it into a pie dish, working it up the sides with your hands.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until browned and set.
- Add the dates to a food processor.
- It will initially form a giant ball of toffee.
- Continue to process beyond this point until the giant ball begins to break up.
- You may have to stop it and help it along by breaking up the big ball of toffee with your hands.
- The ball will get gradually smaller as more of it sticks to the sides.
- Switch off the processor, scrape off the sides with a spoon and switch it back on.
- Open one can of coconut cream. The cream will have separated from the water and will be right on top.
- Scoop out only this cream portion, leaving the water behind, and add it slowly to the processor while it is running.
- Continue to process until you have a thick, smooth, date caramel.
- Scoop out the date caramel on top of the pretzel crust.
- Place into the fridge to set while you prepare your whipped coconut cream.
- Open the remaining 2 cans of coconut cream, scooping out only the top separated cream portion of the can into a mixing bowl.
- Using an electric mixer start at slow speed, gradually building up speed, until the cream is thick and whipped cream consistency has been reached.
- Add the powdered sugar and whip again to mix in.
- Scoop this out over the date caramel layer and smooth it out.
- Grate dark chocolate over the top for decoration.
- Return to the refrigerator to fully set (approx 2 hours).
- Slice and enjoy!
*Pretzel crust adapted from Minimalist Baker.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 10)
- Calories: 503
- Sugar: 27.8g
- Sodium: 223mg
- Fat: 35g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6g
- Carbohydrates: 44.6g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Protein: 5.7g