If you love coconut, then this vegan coconut cream pie is your dream pie!
The crust contains dried coconut, the filling contains coconut milk and coconut sugar and shredded coconut, the topping is whipped coconut cream and the decoration is toasted coconut!
And with all that coconut goodness going on, this is a truly deeelicious pie.
It’s wonderfully coconutty (of course!) and it’s also not overly sweet. So while it’s rich from the coconut, that richness is tempered by the mild sweetness.
So all in all, it’s a happy time in your mouth when you have a slice of this!
The hardest part about making this pie is waiting for that filling to cool down and set! Actually making the pie is a total breeze!
Toasted coconut is one of the best things in the world! It smells SO delicious while toasting in the oven and the whole toasted gorgeous coconut flavor that it brings to this pie is something you don’t want to miss.
So it’s not like an ‘optional’ decoration thing, it’s a crucial part of making the best vegan coconut pie ever.
The pie base is a simple mix of walnuts, dates and dried coconut. So basically – a raw vegan base! Healthy, and so quick and easy.
The filling requires heating coconut milk and coconut sugar with some cornstarch and a little salt and whisking it into a thick pudding. You then add in some vanilla and some shredded coconut (the same coconut that we toast for the topping) and this gives the pudding some texture. Let that cool and set and then mix it with some whipped coconut cream sweetened with a little powdered sugar!
Top the pie with some more whipped coconut cream, toast up some shredded coconut for the topping and you have perfect pie.
This entire recipe is 11-ingredients! That is not bad for a 3-layer pie with decoration! Not bad at all.
Don’t get confused between desssicated coconut (used in the base) and shredded coconut flakes (used for the filling and decoration). Both dessicated coconut and shredded coconut are dried, but the shredded flakes contain more moisture and look more like strips (as you can see with the toasted flakes below) whereas the dessicated coconut is much drier and is finely ground.
You will love this fabulous vegan coconut cream pie. It is:
- Ultra creamy
- Sooo coconutty!
- Super easy
- Topped with toasted coconut
Keep leftovers covered in the fridge where the pie will stay good for around 5 days.
So let us know your thoughts on this coconut cream pie. Any questions or comments, post them down below. And be sure to tag any photos #lovingitvegan on instagram so we don’t miss seeing them!
For more delicious pies, check out:
And do sign up for our email list! You’ll get a free recipe ebook (awesome!) and you’ll stay updated with all our latest recipe postings too!
Ultra creamy vegan coconut cream pie. This super easy recipe is 3-layers of coconut goodness topped with toasted coconut. Vegan, gluten-free and great!
- For the Crust:
- 2 cups (200g) Walnuts
- 1 cup (175g) Dates (packed)
- 1/2 cup (40g) Dried (dessicated) Coconut
- For the Coconut Pudding Filling:
- 1/3 cup (64g) Coconut Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 14oz (400ml) Can Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cup Shredded Coconut
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- For the Topping:
- 2 14oz (400ml) Cans Coconut Cream (chilled in the fridge overnight)
- 6 Tbsp Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
- For the Toasted Coconut:
- 1/4 cup Shredded Coconut
- Add the walnuts, dates and dried (dessicated) coconut to the food processor and process. It will start out crumbly and then will gradually form into a sticky dough. When it’s sticky enough to be forming clumps, transfer to a pie dish and pat down, working it up along the sides as best you can.
- Place into the freezer to set.
- Prepare your filling. Place the cornstarch, coconut sugar, salt and coconut milk into a saucepan and whisk to combine. Heat on medium high heat, whisking regularly, until it is thick and bubbling (about 5 mins).
- Remove from the heat and stir in the shredded coconut and vanilla. Place into a glass bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave to set and cool completely. To speed things up, you can start it off cooling in the freezer – just don’t forget it in there!
- Remove your cans of coconut cream from the fridge where they have been chilling overnight (preferably longer). Be careful not to shake them. When you open them you’ll see that the cream section has risen to the top leaving the water at the bottom. Scoop out only the cream section of both cans into the bowl of an electric mixer. Throw out the water that’s left behind or use it for something else.
- Starting on low speed, gradually increase speed until the cream is whipped. Add the powdered sugar and whip again. For a full tutorial on making vegan whipped cream, click here.
- When your coconut pudding has cooled and set completely, mix in half of the whipped cream with the coconut pudding. Spread this on top of the walnut/date crust.
- Top with the remaining whipped cream.
- For the toasted coconut decoration, place 1/4 cup of shredded coconut onto a baking tray. Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 6-8 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes until nicely browned and fragrant. Allow to cool and dry completely before sprinkling it on top of the pie.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 10)
- Calories: 528
- Sugar: 24.6g
- Sodium: 93mg
- Fat: 43.6g
- Saturated Fat: 27g
- Carbohydrates: 34.8g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Protein: 5.6g