These vegan peanut butter oatmeal cookies are the perfect combination of an oatmeal cookie and a peanut butter cookie.
Well….yes I know, I’m stating the obvious, but the reason for that is… it was sooo not easy to get it to this perfect combo! But get there I did and what you see before you represents a totally perfect blend of flavors and textures! I am proud I tell you, proud!
I did have to make approximately 3000 batches of these cookies to get it right. Okay, small exaggeration but it was at least 10. I kind of nearly lost the will at one point! But I knew I would get there in the end and it would be worth it.
The big mistake I made when starting out with these cookies was thinking I could just adapt my vegan oatmeal cookies to add peanut butter. Oh no. Not at all. The result was pasty, not sweet enough, just… not good at all.
So then I was trying to incorporate rolled oats into my vegan peanut butter cookies recipe. Again, it just didn’t work. I tried various combinations and each time the results were just not favorable. Jaye took a batch of cookies over to the neighbors because he thought he was doing something nice and I was super embarrassed! That’s how totally ‘not good’ they were. Now I’m trying to send over other baked goods to try and show them that yes – I actually can bake!
The perfect combination in the end turned out to be a mix of brown and white sugar. White sugar is lighter than brown sugar so doesn’t weigh the cookies down as much, and since peanut butter is quite a dense ingredient, this turned out to be important. But I wanted the mix of the two sugars because oatmeal cookies is more a brown sugar type of cookie and peanut butter cookies more a white sugar type of cookie. And then I needed a mix of both baking powder and baking soda, not one or the other.
The other trick was not to use too much peanut butter. Half a cup was just right, any more than that was too heavy on these cookies.
I tried a version using a flax egg but the result was a batter that was too wet and spread too much. The cookies were very tasty (by this time I was getting the recipe right!) but because they spread so much they were also too thin and breakable.
So I removed the flax egg just to see what happened. Then there was too little spread. The cookies were very delicious by this point but a bit too puffy and fat. When they came out the oven and were still warm I pressed down on a few of them with a fork and those flattened cookies were the best tasting.
So I made another batch, this time pressing down on them with a fork before they baked and then the result was vegan peanut butter oatmeal cookie perfection! I have never been so happy to get a cookie right!
So I hope you’ll love these vegan peanut butter oatmeal cookies, they are wonderfully crunchy, perfectly sweet and a perfect blend of flavors and textures. They are also very addicting! You definitely want (lots) more than one!
So please let me know what you think of these vegan peanut butter oatmeal cookies, leave a comment and rate the recipe too.
For more gorgeous vegan cookies, check out these delicious recipes:
- Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Vegan Gingersnap Cookies
- Vegan Thumbprint Cookies
- Vegan Snickerdoodles
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Sign up to our email list for a gorgeous dinner recipes ebook containing 10 great recipes (totally free!) and you’ll be the first to know when new recipes are posted to the blog.Print
Vegan peanut butter oatmeal cookies, a perfect combination of oatmeal cookies and peanut butter cookies! Crunchy, perfectly sweet, with a perfect blend of flavors and textures.
- Add the vegan butter and white and brown sugar to an electric mixer bowl and cream them together. Do this very well, let it run a couple of minutes while you get some other ingredients ready. Add in the peanut butter and vanilla extract while the mixer is running and let them mix in well.
- Add the flour, rolled oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt to a bowl and mix in together. Then add all the dry ingredients in with the vegan butter, sugar and peanut butter mixture. Mix together with a spoon (don’t use the electric mixer for this part).
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Your cookie dough should be fairly wet, a little too wet to roll into balls with your hands. Use a cookie scoop to scoop out even sized amount of dough onto a parchment lined baking tray. Aim for roughly 2 Tbsp sized balls and to get around 20 cookies.
- Flatten the cookies with a fork.
- Bake for 15 minutes. When you bring them out the oven they will be very soft in the middle but lightly browned on top.
- Allow them to cool directly on the tray so they can firm up before you move them.
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie
- Calories: 133
- Sugar: 8.1g
- Sodium: 149mg
- Fat: 6.9g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 15.7g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Protein: 2.5g
Keywords: vegan peanut butter oatmeal cookies