This vegan potato salad is pretty much the best thing you’ve ever tasted. And what’s even better is that no one will even be able to tell that it’s vegan.
Who doesn’t love potato salad? I mean… I definitely don’t know anyone who doesn’t love it.
And there is no reason for vegans to miss out.
This is not one of those vegan potato salads that just takes the classic version and uses vegan mayonnaise instead and voilá it’s vegan. Not saying there is anything wrong with that, it’s totally awesome to do that actually, but…our version is a little more unique.
But let me tell you, everyone who has ever eaten it has practically swooned. And I’m not even joking! I actually hate the word swoon. Who swoons over food? Anyone who tries this potato salad – that’s who swoons over food.
You will love this vegan potato salad, it is creamy, tangy, perfectly flavored and deliciously textured and soon to be your new favorite.
How to make Vegan Potato Salad
This is just a summary of the process. Full instructions and measurements can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Making this potato salad couldn’t be easier!
- Peel and chop some potatoes, toss them in some olive oil and salt and pepper and then get those roasting nicely in the oven.
- Now fry up some onion and garlic in a delicious marinade of soy sauce, maple syrup, dried rosemary and liquid smoke.
- Then throw together some vegan mayonnaise, dijon mustard, and white vinegar and whisk it together.
- Add in your fried onions and garlic and some chopped chives.
- Now add your potatoes and gently fold them in and you have yourself the most divine vegan potato salad!
Make Ahead and Storage
You can absolutely make this potato salad ahead of time as the flavors blend beautifully in the fridge and if anything, it just gets even tastier! So if you need to make it the night before, that’s perfect.
Leftovers keep perfectly for 4-5 days in the fridge.
It’s not entirely ideal for freezing. You can freeze it, but there is a high probability of things getting a bit too mushy when thawed. You might have more of a mashed potato situation going on than a potato salad situation. So ideally not.
More Vegan Salad Recipes!
- Vegan Pasta Salad
- Vegan Sweet Potato Salad
- Vegan Caesar Salad
- Vegan Kale Salad
- Vegan Quinoa Salad
- Vegan Couscous Salad
Vegan Potato Salad
For the Potatoes:
For the Onions/Garlic:
- Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C)
- Peel and chop the potatoes and then add to a bowl with the olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper and toss together until lightly coated in the oil. Place onto a parchment lined baking tray and bake in the oven at 390°F for 35 minutes until perfectly roasted. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- While the potatoes are roasting, chop the onion and add to a frying pan with the garlic and olive oil. Add the soy sauce, maple syrup, dried rosemary and liquid smoke. Fry until the onions are soft and the sauce is sticky. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add the mayonnaise, dijon mustard and white vinegar to a bowl and whisk together. Add in the onions and chopped chives.
- Add in the roasted potatoes and gently fold together, taking care not to break up the potatoes.
- Use a gluten-free soy sauce or switch for tamari if you want this to be entirely gluten-free.
- Nutritional information is based on 1 serve of 8 which is a generous serving.
- This recipe was first published in October 2015.