This vegan sweet potato salad is fresh and colorful and topped with a delicious tahini dressing. Perfect as a main course or side dish.
Sometimes a salad is a side dish, and sometimes it’s the main event. In the case of this vegan sweet potato salad it’s filling enough to be the main event.
It’s so satisfying that you can absolutely call it dinner. A very delicious and healthy dinner too. And it’s super simple to make, and pretty quick too.
Of course it also works as a side dish, so it’s versatile.
If you love sweet potatoes, then you’ll also love our Thai sweet potato soup, vegan mashed sweet potatoes, vegan sweet potato curry and vegan sweet potato casserole.
How To Make Vegan Sweet Potato Salad
You will find full instructions and measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a summary of the process to go along with the process photos.
To start with you peel and slice some sweet potatoes. If your sweet potatoes are very large, you may want to cut the rounds in half so you don’t have huge rounds, but in the case of our sweet potatoes, they were quite small, so as you can see the rounds were a perfect size.
Throw them into a big bowl and add olive oil, salt and pepper, onion powder and garlic powder, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper and toss so that all the pieces are lightly covered.
Then place them onto a parchment lined baking tray and place into the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
While your sweet potato is baking, you prepare the rest of the salad ingredients. A simple mix of black beans, green olives, chopped cilantro, sun dried tomatoes and a little salt and pepper. Toss that up in a bowl.
Prepare your salad dressing, in this case we used our tahini salad dressing which is a perfect flavor blend with this salad.
Grab a bag of mixed lettuce leaves, and slice some avocado and you’re ready to assemble that salad as soon as the sweet potato comes out of the oven.
When the sweet potatoes are cooked assemble the plates of salad with salad greens on the bottom, then the black bean and cilantro mix, then sweet potato slices, avocado slices and top with a drizzle of tahini dressing.
Alternatively, you can place it all in a big salad bowl, but be careful when you dish up so that you don’t break up the sweet potato.
This salad is best served immediately and enjoyed super fresh. However, if you do have leftovers, keep them covered in the fridge and enjoy within 2 days.
More Delicious Vegan Salads
- Vegan Potato Salad
- Vegan Quinoa Salad
- Vegan Pasta Salad
- Avocado Corn and Black Bean Salad
- Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
- Vegan Kale Salad
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and rating below!
Vegan Sweet Potato Salad
Roasted Sweet Potatoes:
- 5 Medium Sweet Potatoes (2.2 pounds / 1kg) Peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- ½ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
Black Bean and Cilantro Mix:
- 12 Green Olives Pitted
- 15 ounce Can Black Beans Drained, or 1 ½ cups Cooked Black Beans
- ½ cup Cilantro Chopped
- 10 Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Sprinkle Salt and Pepper
- 8 cups Mixed Lettuce (300g) or Mixed Salad Greens
- 1 Medium Avocado Sliced
- 1 Recipe Tahini Salad Dressing
- Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C).
- Peel and slice the sweet potatoes and add to a bowl with the olive oil, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper and toss together so that all the pieces of sweet potato are lightly coated.
- Transfer to a parchment lined baking tray and spread them out evenly.
- Place into the oven to bake for 30 minutes.
- While the sweet potato is baking, prepare the rest of your salad ingredients.
- Slice the olives and the sun dried tomatoes, chop the cilantro and add to a bowl with the black beans and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Toss together.
- Wash your mixed lettuce greens and peel and slice your avocado.
- When the sweet potatoes are cooked assemble the plates of salad with salad greens on the bottom, then the black bean and cilantro mix, then sweet potato slices, avocado slices and top with a drizzle of tahini dressing.
- Alternatively, you can place it all in a big salad bowl, but be careful when you dish up so that you don’t break up the sweet potato.
- The nutritional information excludes the tahini dressing. Nutritional information for the dressing can be found on that separate linked recipe.
- This salad is best served immediately and enjoyed super fresh. However, if you do have leftovers, keep them covered in the fridge and enjoy within 2 days.
So tasty! ????
Alison Andrews says
Thanks so much Sussie! 🙂
Love sweet potato!! this is amazing.
Leanne McGee says
This turned out great! It was beautiful and delicious!
We were so full when we finished!
Alison Andrews says
Awesome Leanna, yes it’s so filling and satisfying! Thanks so much for sharing! 🙂
Anna Andrews says
Super healthy, full of flavour!