This vegan sweet potato casserole is so delicious! Creamy mashed sweet potatoes are topped with a fabulous streusel topping. The perfect side dish or dessert.
We really didn’t need to reinvent the wheel in making this vegan sweet potato casserole. It’s simply a veganized version of a classic recipe.
And if you love all things sweet potato then definitely check out our vegan sweet potato pie and vegan mashed sweet potatoes as well.
Side Dish? Dessert?
Do you consider a sweet potato casserole to be a side dish or a dessert?
This is definitely a very sweet dish so it can definitely be a dessert. But I also think some of this as a side on my plate along with some other savory sides like vegan scalloped potatoes, vegan green bean casserole and vegan stuffing along with a vegan nut roast or vegan meatloaf and some vegan gravy, would be pretty darn good all round.
How To Make Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
You will find full instructions and measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a summary of the process to go along with the process photos.
- To start with you need to cook up your sweet potatoes. So peel and chop four large sweet potatoes and add them to a pot with enough water to cover them completely.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 10-15 minutes until they’re soft and cooked.
- Drain them and add to a mixing bowl along with some sugar, vegan butter, vanilla extract and salt and mash together.
- Place the mashed sweet potatoes into a 9×13 dish and smooth down.
- Now you’re ready to make your streusel topping.
- Add light brown sugar, all purpose flour, chopped pecans and vegan butter to a mixing bowl and mix it all together. You may need to get in there with your fingers to get it properly mixed.
- Use your fingers to spread the topping evenly over the top of the mashed sweet potatoes.
- Bake in the oven at 350°F for 35 minutes until the top is nicely browned.
Make It Gluten-Free
You can easily make this sweet potato casserole gluten free by switching the all purpose flour for a gluten free all purpose flour blend. Something like Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Baking Flour would work great but any gluten-free all purpose blend would work here. It just needs to be a blend that is meant to replace regular all purpose flour in baking.
Make Ahead, Storing and Freezing
Make Ahead. This is a great dish for making the day before. Just make up the mashed sweet potatoes and place into the 9×13 dish and smooth down. Allow to cool and then cover and refrigerate. Make up the streusel topping but don’t add it on top of the mashed potatoes (yet), just leave it in the mixing bowl, cover the dish and refrigerate. Then on the day, just add the streusel topping and bake as normal. You may need to bake it an extra few minutes since everything will be going in cold.
Storing. Keep leftovers covered in the fridge where they will stay good for up to 5 days.
Freezing. It is also freezer friendly if you want to freeze it. Allow it to cool completely before freezing. Let it thaw overnight in the fridge and then bake at 350°F until warmed through.
More Delicious Vegan Sweet Potato Recipes
- Vegan Sweet Potato Soup
- Vegan Sweet Potato Salad
- Vegan Sweet Potato Curry
- Vegan Sweet Potato Pie
- Vegan Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Thai Sweet Potato Soup
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and rating below!
Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
For the Mashed Sweet Potatoes:
- 4 Large Sweet Potatoes (9 cups, 2.6 pounds, 1.2kg) Peeled and chopped
- ½ cup White Granulated Sugar (100g)
- ½ cup Vegan Butter (112g)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Salt
For the Streusel Topping:
- 1 cup Light Brown Sugar (200g)
- ½ cup All Purpose Flour (63g)
- 1 cup Chopped Pecans (109g)
- ½ cup Vegan Butter (112g)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes and add to a pot. Cover with water and bring to the boil.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes until soft and cooked. Drain and add the cooked sweet potatoes to a mixing bowl along with the white sugar, vegan butter, vanilla and salt and mash with a potato masher until well mixed.
- Spread the mashed sweet potato evenly in a 9×13 baking dish.
- Add the brown sugar, all purpose flour, chopped pecans and vegan butter to a mixing bowl and mix in very well. You may need to get in there with your hands to mix everything properly. Then use your fingers to spread the topping evenly over the top of the mashed sweet potatoes.
- Place into the oven to bake (uncovered) for 35 minutes until it’s golden brown on top.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes and then serve.
- Gluten-free. You can make this gluten-free if you replace the regular all purpose flour with a gluten free all purpose flour blend.
- Make ahead. If you’d like to make this ahead you can definitely do so. Prepare the mashed sweet potato and layer it in the 9×13 dish and then allow to cool, cover and refrigerate. Prepare the streusel topping and then cover and refrigerate that separately. When you’re ready to bake it, then add the streusel topping and bake as usual. You may need to bake a few minutes extra since everything will be cold when going into the oven.
- Storing. Leftovers keep very well covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.
I have a nut allergy. Any suggestions for a different topping?
Alison Andrews says
Hi Marty, you can actually leave off the nuts, it will still be a totally delicious streusel topping! 🙂
My Mom has always used oats instead of flour. She almost never adds nuts. So maybe replace them with oats? Or pumpkin / sunflower seeds? We also always add cinnamon to the topping. 🙂 To recipe author: Thank you for not adding marshmellows! I am from the south, where we supposedly always add marshmellows to sweet taters and yams, I’ve never seen anyone do it, much less eat it! (lol) They’re not even allowed on the table (marshmellows)!
So good! Just tested this and it’s amazing, definitely making it for Thanksgiving!
Alison Andrews says
Yay! Thanks Jennifer. 🙂