This creamy vegan sweet potato soup is so rich and delicious and makes wonderful comfort food. Hearty, filling and satisfying.
This vegan sweet potato soup is thick, creamy, hearty and makes the ultimate comfort food!
It’s definitely filling enough to be all you need for a good dinner and making it is so super easy that really, why wouldn’t you?
It also has a little secret ingredient (secret? no, it’s not secret at all, of course I’m going to tell you) that takes this soup to next level delicious.
The not-secret-at-all ingredient is almond butter! Since putting peanut butter in our super ultra delicious vegan carrot soup, I was inspired to try some almond butter with this sweet potato soup, and it worked like a charm.
Creamy sweet potatoes and coconut cream blended with the rich, roasted flavor of almond butter. It works.
How To Make Vegan Sweet Potato Soup
You will find full instructions and measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a summary of the process to go along with the process photos.
- Add olive oil to a large pot with chopped onion, crushed garlic and minced ginger and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Add cayenne pepper and nutmeg and sauté with the onions.
- Add chopped carrot and peeled and chopped sweet potato and toss together with the onions and spices.
- Add vegetable stock and coconut cream and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover the pot and leave it to simmer until the potatoes and carrots are soft and cooked.
- Add almond butter and stir in.
- Blend with an immersion blender directly in the pot, or if you don’t have an immersion blender, transfer it in stages to your blender jug and blend until smooth. When it’s all blended return it to the pot.
- Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
As you can see this soup is thick! It’s super filling and rich and creamy. We used coconut cream, but coconut milk is also an option. If you prefer to use coconut milk then a full fat variety is going to be the tastiest for this soup, as it’s meant to be a very rich and creamy soup.
A light coconut milk would do the job but wouldn’t be as delicious and the soup would be a thinner consistency as well.
If you prefer your soups to be thinner, then use an extra 1-2 cups of vegetable stock during the cooking process.
We used almond butter in this soup which works wonderfully well, but other nut butters that would also work in this sweet potato soup are peanut butter or cashew butter. Those also have a flavor balance that would blend well with this soup, but experiment with others if you like!
Serve it with some black pepper sprinkled on top and some fresh cilantro. We found a delicious sweet potato bread that we used for dipping which was too good!
Storing and Freezing
Leftovers keep very well in the fridge for 3-4 days and can be easily reheated, so don’t be intimidated by the fact that this is a big pot of soup, you’ll easily get through it over a few days.
It is also freezer friendly if you’d like to freeze it.
More Delicious Vegan Soup Recipes
- Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- Creamy Vegan Potato Soup
- Vegan Pumpkin Soup
- Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and rating below!
Vegan Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion White, Yellow or Brown, Chopped
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Minced Ginger
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
- 2 Large Carrots Chopped
- 4 Large Sweet Potatoes (2.6 pounds / 1200g) Peeled and Chopped
- 2 cups Vegetable Stock (480ml)
- 14 ounces Canned Coconut Cream (400ml) Unsweetened
- ¼ cup Almond Butter (63g)
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper To Taste
- Black Pepper
- Add olive oil to a large pot with chopped onion, crushed garlic and minced ginger and sauté until the onions are slightly softened.
- Add in the cayenne pepper and nutmeg and sauté.
- Then add in the chopped carrot and sweet potato and toss with the onions and spices.
- Add in the vegetable stock and coconut cream, bring to the boil and then reduce the heat, cover the pot and leave to simmer until the sweet potatoes are soft and cooked.
- Add in the almond butter and stir it in.
- Blend with an immersion blender or by transferring to your blender jug in stages and then returning to the pot.
- Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve with a sprinkle of black pepper and some fresh cilantro.
- You can switch coconut cream for full fat, canned, unsweetened coconut milk if you prefer. Light coconut milk would also be an option.
- You can switch for a different nut butter such as peanut butter or cashew butter.
- This soup is thick, so if you prefer your soups to be thinner, then use an extra 1-2 cups of vegetable stock during the cooking process.
- Leftovers keep well in the fridge for 3-4 days. It’s also freezer friendly for up to 3 months.