This vegan sweet potato soup is thick, creamy, hearty and makes the ultimate comfort food!
It’s definitely filling enough to be all you need for a good dinner and making it is so super easy that really, why wouldn’t you?
It also has a little secret ingredient (secret? no, it’s not secret at all, of course I’m going to tell you!) that takes this soup to next level delicious!
The not-secret-at-all ingredient is almond butter! Since putting peanut butter in our super ultra delicious vegan carrot soup, I was inspired to try some almond butter with this sweet potato soup, and it worked like a charm.
Creamy sweet potatoes and coconut cream blended with the rich, roasted flavor of almond butter!
Other nut butters that would work in this sweet potato soup are peanut butter or cashew butter. Those are nut butters with a flavor balance that would blend well with this soup, but experiment with others if you like!
As you can see this soup is thick! It’s super filling and rich and creamy. We used coconut cream, but coconut milk is also an option. If you prefer to use coconut milk then a full fat variety is going to be the tastiest for this soup, as it’s meant to be a very rich and creamy soup.
A light coconut milk would do the job but wouldn’t be as delicious and the soup would be a thinner consistency as well.
Serve it with some black pepper sprinkled on top and some fresh cilantro. We found a delicious sweet potato bread that we used for dipping which was too good!
I think you’re going to love this vegan sweet potato soup, it’s:
- Rich and creamy
- Hearty and filling
- Ultra delicious!
Leftovers keep very well in the fridge and can be easily reheated the next day, so don’t be intimidated by the fact that this is a big pot of soup, you’ll easily get through it over a couple of days.
So let us know what you think of this vegan sweet potato soup in the comments! And please rate the recipe too!
For more fabulously tasty vegan soups, check out these great recipes:
- Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- Creamy Vegan Potato Soup
- Vegan Pumpkin Soup
- Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
Sign up to our email list to stay updated with all our latest recipes posted to the blog and you’ll get a free dinner recipes ebook as well!Print
Rich and fabulously creamy vegan sweet potato soup. Hearty and filling, this super easy vegan soup makes wonderful comfort food!
- 1 Onion (Chopped)
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 tsp Minced Ginger
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 2 Large Carrots (Chopped)
- 4 Large Sweet Potatoes (~2.6lb/1200g) – (Peeled and Chopped)
- 2 cups (480ml) Vegetable Stock
- 1 14oz (400ml) Can Coconut Cream*
- 1/4 cup (63g) Almond Butter*
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper (To Taste)
- Black Pepper
- Add the chopped onion, crushed garlic and minced ginger to a pot with the olive oil and sauté until the onions are slightly softened.
- Add in the cayenne pepper and nutmeg and sauté.
- Then add in the chopped carrot and sweet potato and toss with the onions and spices.
- Add in the vegetable stock and coconut cream, bring to the boil and then reduce the heat, cover the pot and leave to simmer until the sweet potatoes are soft and cooked.
- Add in the almond butter and stir it in.
- Blend with an immersion blender or by transferring to your blender jug in stages and then returning to the pot.
- Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve with a sprinkle of black pepper and some fresh cilantro.
*You can switch coconut cream for coconut milk if you prefer.
*You can switch for a different nut butter such as peanut butter.
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 6)
- Calories: 416
- Sugar: 12.6g
- Sodium: 430mg
- Fat: 22.4g
- Saturated Fat: 12.5g
- Carbohydrates: 49.5g
- Fiber: 8.5g
- Protein: 7g
Keywords: vegan sweet potato soup