This vegan matcha ice cream is creamy and smooth with subtle delicious matcha flavor. It’s also the best textured vegan ice cream ever.
If you like the taste of green tea, then you’re just going to love this vegan matcha ice cream.
Matcha is like the best green tea, and pairing the flavor of it with ice cream is a big winner.
The color is also just beautiful for this ice cream. Both the color and the flavor are subtle but lovely.
How To Make Vegan Matcha Ice Cream
The higher quality your green tea (and matcha is very high quality), the more important it is that you don’t boil it.
So for this recipe, I heated up the other ingredients to a simmer – important when making vegan ice cream so that the fats are homogenized and don’t create a grainy texture – but only added the matcha once removed from the heat.
So the process is simple, heat up all the ingredients to a simmer except the matcha and vanilla, remove from the heat, add the matcha and vanilla, then give it a quick (30 second) blend with an immersion blender if you have one, or transfer to a blender jug if you don’t have one.
Then you transfer your mixture to a container with a lid and place into the fridge to chill overnight.
Then you just churn it in the machine according to manufacturer instructions. If you have a powerful ice cream maker like mine (a Cuisinart) then it doesn’t usually take longer than 30 minutes. But if your machine is less powerful it can take up to 45 minutes. You want it to be a soft serve consistency.
Smooth it down into a loaf pan, cover with foil and place into the freezer to set.
When you serve, top it with crushed hazelnuts or pistachios. Yum!
It’s ice cream, so of course it lasts a while in the freezer, but with homemade ice cream it’s always best when fresh, so you’ll get the maximum enjoyment from it if you eat it within the first week after making it.
More Vegan Ice Cream Recipes
- Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream
- Vegan Coconut Ice Cream
- Vegan Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Vegan Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream
- Vegan Cheesecake Ice Cream
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and rating below!
Vegan Matcha Ice Cream
- The day before you want to make ice cream, put the freezer bowl of your ice cream maker into the freezer to freeze properly.
- Then add your coconut milk, coconut cream, sugar, and golden syrup into a pot and heat to a simmer, stirring regularly.
- Once it reaches a simmer, remove from the heat and whisk in the vanilla and matcha green tea powder.
- Blend the mixture with an immersion blender directly in the pot for 30 seconds. This step removes any remaining graininess from your mixture. If you don’t have an immersion blender you can use a regular blender by transferring the mix to a blender jug. Just be very careful that the lid is on firmly as the mix will be very hot.
- Transfer the mix to a sealable container and place into the fridge to chill completely, preferably overnight.
- When your ice cream maker freezer bowl is frozen, transfer the mix to the bowl and churn until it reaches a soft serve consistency. Depending on your ice cream maker, this could take anything from 20-45 minutes.
- Transfer the ice cream from the ice cream maker into a loaf pan and smooth down. Cover with foil and place into the freezer to set completely before serving.
- Serve with chopped hazelnuts or pistachios.
- You can use up to 4 Tablespoons Matcha Green Tea Powder, it depends on how strong you want the flavor to be. My preference was to keep the flavor mild.
- Keep it stored in the freezer and enjoy within the first week for the best taste and texture results.