Rich, hearty and satisfying vegan potato soup. Super easy, hugely delicious and so filling you can have it as a main course!
This vegan potato soup will blow your mind. I know this because my mind was totally blown.
I’m a big soup fan and absolutely love a good soup.
But in all my years of making soups, I had never tried to make a potato soup. Boy, have I been missing out!
Don’t be fooled by the color, this aint no butternut squash soup, the color comes from the 2 carrots I added. Carrots are great to add to soups, they add texture, color and flavor.
But seriously, this is a potato soup. It’s wonderfully rich, hearty and delicious. And as good as it is on the first go, it’s even better the next day. So when you make this you know you have some good eating ahead.
And while we generally tend to think of soups as appetizers, and sure, they are that too, this one is so filling there is no need for a main course.
How to make vegan potato soup
This vegan potato soup is ready in under an hour (50 minutes) and most of that time is just spent doing its thing on the stove without any involvement needed from you, so it’s easy and fun to make.
You’re just going to fry up some onion and garlic in a little coconut oil and some dried herbs, then add some chopped carrots and peeled and chopped potatoes and sauté them a little to spread the flavors around.
Then you’re going to add in some vegetable stock, bring to the boil and leave to simmer (covered) for around 30 minutes or as long as needed until the potatoes and carrots are soft and cooked.
Then it’s just a case of getting in there with an immersion blender and blending it all up, adding in some coconut milk and letting it gently heat through and mix wonderfully with all the flavors of the soup.
And there you have it! The most deliciously rich and hearty soup.
Top with some chives, because you just won’t believe how well they go with this soup.
You will love this vegan potato soup, it’s hearty, satisfying and rich and it tastes even better the next day! It’s easy to prepare and hugely delicious served with some wholewheat bread for dipping.
Have it as an appetizer if you like, but it’s so filling it works great as a main course too.
More vegan soup recipes!
- Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Vegan Carrot Soup
- Vegan Pumpkin Soup
- Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- Vegan Tomato Soup
If you have any questions or comments, post them down below, I’d love to hear from you, and please rate the recipe too! Thank you.
And if you haven’t already sign up to our email list, not only do you receive a free ebook (containing 10 delicious dinner recipes) but you’ll also stay up to date on all the latest deliciousness posted here.
Creamy Vegan Potato Soup
- 1 Medium Onion White, Yellow or Brown, Chopped
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- ½ tsp Dried Thyme
- ½ tsp Dried Rosemary
- 2 Large Carrots
- 4 Large White Potatoes (2.6 pounds / 1200g) peeled and chopped
- 4 cups Vegetable Stock (960ml)
- 14 ounces Canned Coconut Milk (400ml) Full Fat, Unsweetened
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Chives for garnish
- Add the chopped onions and crushed garlic to a pot with the coconut oil and dried thyme and rosemary and sauté until the onions are slightly softened.
- Add the carrots and potatoes (peeled and chopped) and sauté for a minute just to blend the flavors together.
- Pour in the vegetable stock.
- Bring to the boil and then cover the pot, turn down the heat and simmer for around 30 minutes until soft and cooked.
- Remove from the heat and blend with an immersion blender into a thick creamy soup. Then add the coconut milk and stir through.
- Gradually heat the soup to a simmer again so that the coconut milk flavors blend properly.
- Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve with chopped chives and some delicious breads for dipping.
- Any variety of white potato should work great here.
- If you're serving as a main course, this soup will serve 4, however as an appetizer, it will serve 6.