I had no idea what matcha green tea was until I started seeing it all over my pinterest feed. It looked pretty good to me!
So I ordered some with my usual supplement order and I tell you I’ve got some plans for this stuff!
It’s pretty damn awesome and adds a wonderful flavor and richness to smoothies.
I’m always a fan of green smoothies and the addition of matcha green tea makes it something special!
So this matcha green tea smoothie contains all the goodness of a regular green smoothie with the added green tea flavor (subtle – but lovely) and of course all the good antioxidants that green tea contains.
It also has a little caffeine.
I’m quite caffeine sensitive () so I kept this pretty mild.
And when I say ‘caffeine sensitive’ what I mean is ‘crazy eyes’ from ‘Orange Is the New Black’ aint got nothin’ on me!
I like how it adds a subtle hint of green tea flavor to the smoothie without being overpowering. If you want more of a caffeine boost though, you could easily add more matcha green tea powder to the recipe.
This is GREAT for breakfast – doing double duty as your caffeine shot for the day as well as your super healthful infusion of fruit and veggie goodness to power you up for the day ahead!
So I’m a fan – I think you will be too!
This matcha green tea smoothie is fruit and veggie packed, cold, double-thick, smooth, creamy and utterly delicious!
It’s also ready in 10 minutes! How much better can it get?
For more delicious vegan recipes using matcha green tea, check out:
- Vegan Matcha Green Tea Cupcakes
- Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream
- Gluten-Free Vanilla Cupcakes with Matcha Green Tea Frosting
And for more delicious smoothies, check out these great recipes:
- Mango Smoothie
- Watermelon Smoothie
- Kale Smoothie
- Pineapple and Mango Green Smoothie
- Vegan Coffee Smoothie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
Any comments or questions – post them below in the comments! I would love to hear from you. And please do rate the recipe too, thanks so much!
And while you’re here, sign up to our email list. You’ll get an awesome free recipe ebook containing 10 delicious vegan dinner recipes and you’ll be the first to know when new recipes are posted to the blog!
Matcha Green Tea Smoothie
- 1 cup Light Coconut Milk (240ml)
- 2 tsp Matcha Green Tea Powder
- 2 Large Handfuls Baby Spinach
- 1 Large Mango fresh or frozen
- 2 Frozen Bananas
- Add the coconut milk to your blender jug, followed by the matcha green tea powder and spinach. Blend.
- Add the mango and frozen bananas and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Bananas must be peeled, broken into quarters and frozen at least 12 hours before. Anytime you have extra ripe bananas, peel, break into quarters and freeze in a freezer bag so you have them on hand for smoothies.