We get ideas for this blog everywhere. Restaurant menus is a big one. Butternut and green curry soup? I mean what a fabulous combo!
We were eating at an Asian restaurant in Cape Town and they had a butternut green curry soup on the menu.
We didn’t order it and have no idea whether their version was good or not or how they did it, because we found out from the waiter that it had cows milk in it as well as coconut cream (why!!??).
However, the moment I read that combo on the menu I said to Jaye – we gotta make this!
So we discussed how to make the most delicious possible version of a soup like this.
And we landed on Roasted Butternut Green Curry Soup with Garlic Bread! Yeeha!
There’s something about carrot that goes immensely well with butternut.
You don’t really taste carrot very much but it results in the color of the soup being the best possible. So we decided to put in some carrots too.
The butternut and carrots are roasted with olive oil, salt and black pepper, which is the most delicious way to get those ingredients ready.
I mean if you want to make a quicker version, you can steam these in a steamer (also delicious, but not ‘as’ delicious).
And then the roasted butternut and carrots are added to onions, garlic, green curry paste and coconut milk and simmered down into a glorious blend of flavors.
And then garlic bread. What can I say? Perfect accompaniment to an awesome meal.
And it’s easy as to make it vegan.
Crushed garlic mixed into vegan butter and spread on a baguette and then sprinkled with dried rosemary and salt, wrapped in tinfoil and baked in the oven. Yum!
Now you’ve got something to dip in your soup and the flavors blend deliciously.
If you have leftovers you’ll be thrilled because this soup tastes even better the next day! Which is barely believable considering how good it tastes right away, but trust me, it actually goes up a notch the next day.
So when you make this gorgeous roasted butternut and green curry soup with (or without) garlic bread, pop back here and let us know how it went!
Leave a comment and rate it, take a photo too and tag it #lovingitvegan on instagram so we can check it out!Print
Mildly spicy green curry and roasted butternut soup served with garlic bread. An ideal appetizer, this soup is vegan, healthy and fabulous.
- For The Soup
- 1 Large Butternut Squash
- 3 Large Carrots
- 2-3 Tbsp (30-45ml) Olive Oil
- Black Pepper
- 1 Onion
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp Green Curry Paste
- 1 14 oz can (400ml) Coconut Milk
- Dash of Water
- For the Garlic Bread
- 1 Baguette
- 2 Tbsp (30g) Vegan Butter
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- Dried Rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit (180 degrees celsius)
- Peel and slice the butternut and carrots.
- Cover a baking tray with parchment paper and spread out the butternut and carrots evenly on the tray.
- Brush lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- Bake for around 45 minutes until soft and cooked.
- When the butternut and carrots are cooked, get started on the next step.
- Chop the onion and crush the garlic and add to a pot with the soy sauce and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the green curry paste and a dash of water to prevent sticking and saute for around 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, butternut and carrots.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer down for around 5 minutes.
- Blend with handheld blender.
- For the Garlic Bread:
- While your soup is simmering, get started on the garlic bread.
- Crush up the garlic and add to the 2 Tbsp vegan butter and mix up together in a bowl.
- Slice up the baguette and then spread with the garlic butter.
- Sprinkle with dried rosemary and salt (or any dried herbs of your choice).
- Roll in tinfoil and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
*Nutritional estimate is based on 1 serve of 4 without garlic bread.
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 4)
- Calories: 418
- Sugar: 9.7g
- Sodium: 548mg
- Fat: 28.5g
- Saturated Fat: 19.9g
- Carbohydrates: 31.6g
- Fiber: 11.7g
- Protein: 6.3g