These festive boozy vegan jello shots are perfect for parties! They’re colorful, fun and super easy to make! Top with vegan whipped cream!
Ever since I made my fruity vegan jello, I’ve had it in mind to make vegan jello shots.
And now is a great time for this because it’s party season! But let’s be real, anytime is a good time for a party, so this is a year round good idea.
I was a bit unsure how much vodka to put in these jello shots, because you want them to taste good, but they also need to do their job, which is to provide a little hit of alcohol of course.
I settled on 1 cup of vodka for the recipe which works out to about half a shot (12ml) per jello shot. Which isn’t a lot, but let me just say the vodka taste IS very strong.
So if you want the taste to be more jello and less vodka, then use less vodka and compensate by adding water instead.
- Red grape juice – we used red grape juice (100% fruit juice) but feel free to use different flavor fruit juice.
- Agar agar powder – is the essential ingredient, that gets this jello to set. It must be 100% agar agar powder (pure) and not mixed with other ingredients. It must also be the powder and not the flakes. However, if you are using the flakes you will need 2-3 times more.
- Vodka – use your favorite brand of vodka. These shots do have a strong vodka taste. If you would prefer the vodka to be more subtle, then reduce the amount of vodka, and replace it with water.
How To Make Vegan Jello Shots
You will find full instructions and measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a summary of the process to go along with the process photos.
- Add red grape juice, white granulated sugar and agar agar powder to a saucepan. Bring to the boil, stirring all the time, and once boiling allow it to boil for 2 minutes (stirring the whole time).
- Remove it from the heat, add the vodka and stir very well.
- Pour it out into a jug (for easy pouring) and then divide it between 20 shot glasses).
- Place the tray into the fridge for the jello to set.
- Once set, decorate and serve!
Top these jello shots with some vegan whipped cream, a sprinkle of green sanding sugar (literally white sugar shaken up in a jar with a drop or two of green food coloring), and a green cherry propped at a jaunty angle and you have gorgeously festive vegan jello shots.
Perfect for parties or any special occasions.
It’s ideal to make these jello shots ahead of time, ideally the day before. Make the jello part only and let them set. Then you’ll just need to add the vegan whipped cream topping and decorations right before serving.
More Delicious Drinks
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and rating below!
Vegan Jello Shots
- 1 cup Red Grape Juice (240ml) 100% fruit juice
- ¼ cup White Granulated Sugar (50g)
- 1 teaspoon Agar Agar Powder not flakes*
- 1 cup Vodka (240ml)
- Green Sanding Sugar
- Vegan Whipped Cream
- Green Cherries
- Add the grape juice, white granulated sugar and agar agar powder to a saucepan. Bring to the boil, stirring all the time, and once boiling allow to boil for 2 minutes while you keep stirring.
- Remove from heat and add in the vodka and stir very well.
- Pour out into a glass jug to allow for easy pouring and then divide evenly between 20 shot glasses on a tray.
- Place the tray with the shot glasses into the fridge and allow to set.
- Once set, top with vegan whipped cream, a sprinkle of green sanding sugar and a green cherry.
- Vodka: The vodka taste is pretty strong, if you would like a more subtle taste then replace some of the vodka with water.
- Sanding sugar: Making some green sanding sugar is just a case of putting some white granulated sugar into a jar, adding a couple of drops of green food coloring and then shaking up the jar vigorously until the green color has worked its way through all the sugar granules and you’re left with green sugar.
- Nutritional information excludes toppings.