Ever since I made my fruity vegan jello, I’ve had it in mind to make vegan jello shots!
And now is a great time for this because it’s party season! But let’s be real, anytime is a good time for a party, so this is a year round good idea!
I was a bit unsure how much vodka to put in these jello shots, because you want them to taste good, but they also need to do their job, which is to provide a little hit of alcohol!
I settled on 1 cup of vodka for the recipe which works out to about half a shot (12ml) per jello shot. Which isn’t a lot, but let me just say the vodka taste IS very strong.
So if you want the taste to be more jello and less vodka, then use less vodka and compensate by adding extra water to the jello mix that you heat on the stove (it will make more sense when you read the recipe).
I was also able to get my hands on some agar agar powder this time, unlike last time when I made the straight vegan jello and used agar agar flakes. Well the powder is definitely more powerful, but the use of alcohol also means you do need more than if you’re making an alcohol free version. I found 1 teaspoon to be just perfect for this!
Top with some vegan whipped cream (store-bought or homemade), a sprinkle of green sanding sugar (literally just white sugar shaken up in a jar with a drop or two of green food coloring), and a green cherry propped at a jaunty angle and you have gorgeously festive vegan jello shots!
You will love these gorgeous vegan jello shots, they are:
- Perfect for parties!
They also taste great (depending on how much you like your booze, but as mentioned above, adjust booziness for personal preference!). If you’re making them in advance, just do the jello part only and then add the cream and decorations right before they’re needed.
So what do you think of these vegan jello shots? Got a party planned? They’ll be perfect!
If you make them, take a photo and tag us #lovingitvegan on instagram so we don’t miss them!
And if you’re in the mood for some fun (and boozy) recipes, here’s a few more:
Sign up for our email list while you’re here, and receive a free ebook containing 10 great recipes PLUS you’ll stay updated with all the new recipes posted to the blog. Tooooo cool.
Vegan Jello Shots
- 1 cup Red Grape Juice (240ml) 100% fruit juice
- ¼ cup White Granulated Sugar (50g)
- 1 tsp Agar Agar Powder not flakes*
- 1 cup Vodka (240ml)
- Green Sanding Sugar
- Vegan Whipped Cream
- Green Cherries
- Add the grape juice, sugar and agar agar powder to a saucepan. Bring to the boil, stirring all the time, and once boiling allow to boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add in the vodka and stir very well.
- Pour out into a glass jug to allow for easy pouring and then divide evenly between 20 shot glasses on a tray (25ml shot glasses, if using bigger glasses, you'll just have less shots).
- Place the tray with the shot glasses into the fridge and allow to set.
- Once set, top with vegan whipped cream, a sprinkle of green sanding sugar and a green cherry.
- If using agar agar flakes, you'll need to use at least double, and possibly more. So 2 tsp would be a good starting point.
- The vodka taste is pretty strong, though it only works out to roughly half a 25ml shot of vodka per shot glass. If you would like to use less vodka, then add extra water to compensate. So if for example, you'd like to use only ½ cup of vodka, then add ½ cup of water to the saucepan with the grape juice and sugar and agar agar and bring to the boil together. In this case you can also use a little less agar agar powder, I would drop a ¼ tsp per ½ cup less of vodka used.
- Making some green sanding sugar is just a case of putting some white granulated sugar into a jar, adding a couple of drops of green food coloring and then shaking up the jar vigorously until the green color has worked its way through all the sugar granules and you're left with green sugar.
- Nutritional information is for 1 shot of 20 without whipped cream, cherry or sanding sugar.
- Recipe adapted from my Fruity Vegan Jello.