This homemade vegan Baileys tastes just like real Baileys. It’s creamy and rich and smooth and the best thing is that you can make it in 5 minutes with a few easy ingredients and a blender.
I’ll admit that it took a few tries to get this Vegan Baileys recipe just perfect but perfect is exactly what it is.
We even did a taste test comparing real Baileys with this vegan version and had a friend compare the two side by side and they said it’s REALLY close and they might even prefer the vegan version. So that is a WIN.
Baileys do have a vegan version on the market called Baileys Almande and that looks really divine, but it’s not accessible everywhere in the world. So if you want a dairy free Baileys and can’t necessarily just go and buy it at the store then this is the way forward.
How To Make Vegan Baileys
- It’s so simple. Just add two cans of full fat canned coconut milk to the blender jug.
- Add in some brown sugar and then pour in some Jameson Irish Whiskey.
- Add cocoa powder and instant coffee and vanilla extract and then blend until smooth and creamy.
- Serve over ice (or just chilled, no ice) and enjoy!
The coconut milk must be canned full fat, and unsweetened. Don’t use coconut milk from a carton it won’t be rich enough.
In spite of the coconut base for this drink, the coconut taste doesn’t come through strongly at all. The end result is just a delicious creamy drink.
If you need an alternate to coconut milk then I would choose something like homemade cashew milk so that you can control how rich and creamy it is, because you do want this to be a very creamy drink.
You can use coconut sugar rather than brown sugar if you prefer. Either/or will be delicious.
We used Jamesons Irish Whiskey which was delicious in this drink but feel free to use any Irish whiskey that you like.
We used instant espresso powder for the coffee powder, but you can use any instant coffee powder.
Storing Vegan Baileys
Store it in the fridge and enjoy within about a week. It thickens a little more in the fridge, compared to when it’s just freshly blended, but this is fine especially if you’re serving it over ice which will thin it out again anyway.
You may just need to stir it up again before serving if it’s been standing for a bit.
More Vegan Drinks!
- Add the coconut milk to the blender jug and then add the brown sugar, Jamesons, cocoa powder, coffee powder and vanilla extract.
- Blend until smooth.
- Serve over ice or just serve it chilled (no ice).
- You can use any Irish whiskey that you like and have on hand.
- We used instant espresso powder but any instant coffee powder will work.
- Keep leftovers stored in the fridge and consume within about a week. It may thicken a bit in the fridge, just stir it up before serving.