When I decided to do a vegan butternut squash soup for this blog I decided I wanted to make it the richest, most comforting of comfort foods type dish possible!
And this is it! So of course, it has to be roasted butternut, that’s the best kind!
Roasted butternut squash soup that is rich, creamy, thick and ultimately delicious!
So how do you make a vegan butternut squash soup?
We roasted the butternut with some chopped carrot in some olive oil and spices. Carrot is a great addition to a vegan butternut squash soup because it adds beautifully to the color and the texture.
And once that butternut and carrot is perfectly roasted, you add it to a pot with sautéed onions and garlic and spices and then add coconut cream and vegetable stock (and a little soy sauce) to create an ultra gourmet roasted butternut squash soup.
Serve with chives and black pepper sprinkled over the top. I used coconut cream for this rather than coconut milk as I wanted it as rich and creamy as possible. But you could absolutely use coconut milk (or even light coconut milk) if you wanted to make this soup a little lighter.
It wouldn’t be as thick and rich, but it would still be awesome!
Blending your roasted butternut squash soup
I consider my immersion blender to be a godsend when it comes to soups! You just blend it up right in the pot! Ours is rather an old model and I can’t find it on Amazon, but this hand blender is very similar to the one we have.
But if you don’t have one, you can also transfer to a blender jug and blend it up there but you’ll have to do it in stages as this is a big pot of soup.
You will love this vegan butternut squash soup, it is:
- Comfort Food!
- Vibrant and colorful!
It makes a wonderful appetizer that’s also filling enough to have as a main! It keeps beautifully in the fridge and can be reheated the next day.
So what do you think of this vegan butternut squash soup? Let us know in the comments, and if you make it, please rate the recipe and let us know how it worked out for you!
Want more awesome vegan soups? Look no further!
And heaps more! Search ‘soups‘ to see all the great soups we’ve made!
Sign up to our email list as well while you’re here – you’ll get an awesome free recipe ebook and you’ll be the first to know when a new recipe is posted to the blog!
Rich and creamy vegan butternut squash soup. This vibrant and colorful soup is wonderfully easy to make and the results are sensational.
For the Roasted Butternut Squash:
- 1 Butternut Squash (Medium to Large)
- 3 Medium Carrots
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Sprinkle Salt
- Sprinkle Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Dried Basil
For the Soup:
- 1 Onion (Chopped)
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/8 tsp Paprika
- 1 14oz/400ml Can Coconut Cream
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce*
- 1 Cup (240ml) Vegetable Stock
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C).
- Peel and chop the butternut squash and carrots. Place into a bowl with the olive oil, salt, black pepper, thyme and basil and toss together until the vegetables are coated in the oil and spices.
- Place onto a parchment lined baking tray and place into the oven to bake for 35 minutes until vegetables are roasted.
- Place the chopped onion, crushed garlic, olive oil, cumin and paprika into a pot on the stove and sauté together until onions are softened.
- Then add in the roasted butternut and carrots and toss together.
- Add coconut cream, soy sauce and vegetable stock and bring to a simmer to blend the flavors.
- Remove from heat and blend with an immersion blender or by transferring to a blender jug to blend it up in stages.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with chopped chives.
*Use a gluten-free soy sauce or switch for tamari if you want to make this entirely gluten-free.
*Prep time includes time spent roasting in the oven.
- Category: Appetizer, Gluten-Free
- Method: Oven and Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 4)
- Calories: 384
- Sugar: 9.7g
- Sodium: 452mg
- Fat: 28.4g
- Saturated Fat: 18.5g
- Carbohydrates: 32.7g
- Fiber: 8.8g
- Protein: 4.5g
Keywords: vegan butternut squash soup