Okay, this roasted butternut and avocado salad may be my favorite salad ever.
First off, nothing beats roasted butternut. It’s the shizzle. Pair it with some creamy avocado, salty olives and sundried tomatoes, crispy iceberg lettuce, crunchy cucumbers and juicy tomatoes, then drizzle it with some cashew cream dressing and you’re in salad heaven.
A little trick I picked up at a lovely cafe called ‘The Natural Way Cafe’ in Gordon’s Bay, South Africa is you don’t need to remove the seeds from the butternut when roasting it.
The seeds are deliciously edible. And I do mean deliciously!
They’re so good I actually crave them these days. Butternut seeds. Who knew.
And of course you don’t need to remove the skin either which is a huge time saver, because peeling butternut is like my least favorite thing to do ever. Well…if not my LEAST favorite thing, it’s certainly a contender for the title. I usually get Jaye to peel the butternut for me, as he finds it strangely enjoyable.
But that’s all much of a muchness because none of that needs to happen here!
You just slice it up, leaving the peel, seeds and all, brush with olive oil and bake in the oven until the butternut is gorgeously soft and flavorful and the seeds are gorgeously crunchy.
And then cashew cream adds bonus points to pretty much any recipe, and it does an amazing job here.
This salad blends creamy, salty and sweet fabulously well, with the contrasts in textures adding another layer of deliciousness to the whole deal.
This salad is an entree, not a starter or a side dish. It’s the whole meal, the main event.
You will love this gorgeous roasted butternut and avocado salad for the fabulous contrasts in flavor and texture that work so well together, how satisfying it is, and how you’re able to get in roughly 500 servings (thereabouts) of vegetables into your body while tasting THIS damn good.
Any questions, comments, post them in the comments section below!
And if you happen to make this fabulous salad, take a pic and tag it #lovingitvegan on instagram so we can admire it too!
Roasted Butternut and Avocado Salad with Cashew Cream Dressing. This salad makes a satisfying and delicious main meal, and it’s vegan and gluten-free!
- For the Salad:
- 1 Large Butternut
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Sprinkle of dried herbs
- 1/2 Head Iceberg Lettuce
- 1 Large Cucumber
- 10 Cherry Tomatoes
- 10 Sundried Tomatoes
- 10 Green Pimento Olives
- 1 Avocado
- For the Cashew Cream Dressing:
- 1/2 cup (75g) Cashews
- 1/2 Lemon (squeezed)
- Sprinkle Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 Tbsp Date Honey/Maple Syrup
- Preheat the oven to 430 degrees fahrenheit (220 degrees celsius).
- Slice the butternut without peeling it or removing the seeds.
- Brush the slices with olive oil and sprinkle with dried herbs and then place onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Bake the butternut in the oven for around 35 minutes or until soft and cooked.
- While the butternut is baking, shred the lettuce, chop the tomatoes and cucumber, cut the olives in half and cut the sundried tomato into small pieces and toss together before separating into two bowls or plates.
- Add the dressing ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth.
- When the butternut is cooked, add the butternut pieces to the top of the salad.
- Slice up an avocado and divide evenly between the two plates.
- Pour cashew cream over the top of each salad.
- Category: Salad, Entree
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serving (of 2)
- Calories: 721
- Sugar: 32.7g
- Sodium: 450mg
- Fat: 36.7g
- Saturated Fat: 5.8g
- Carbohydrates: 94.4g
- Fiber: 24.9g
- Protein: 17.2g